Editing Tablets (Bamboo, Intuos)

<p>I just recently learned about the Wacom editing tablets and wanted some input and opinions. First of all, how useful are they for use with PS or Aperture? Secondly, do you think it is worth it if I'm doing serious editing and photo restoration to get the Intuos instead of the Bamboo? I'm considering the medium (or wireless) Intuos vs. the Bamboo touch and pen. Any thoughts?<br>

Lastly, I see the wireless Intuos doesn't come with a mouse...what is the mouse used for? I don't understand what you do with the mouse.<br>

Any help and all opinions are appreciated!</p>

<p>A tablet is definitely worth while for editing in Lightroom or Photoshop. The Intuos has finer resolution and more features than the Bamboo. You don't need to spend a fortune on the largest one. A 6x8 tablet is as large as you need if you are not drawing original art.</p>

<p>Get the wired one over the wireless. It's just a single, USB2 cable. Wireless anything can be a PITA to keep working.</p>

<p>A tablet works in two modes - absolute positioning and relative positioning. The absolute mode works best with the pen tool for drawing on the screen, dust spotting, or anything which requires precise positioning. The pen is pressure sensitive, so you can use it like an airbrush. The cursor follows the pen without touching the tablet. It only executes an action when you touch the screen. After a while, you can just look at the screen and point the pen without thinking about it.</p>

<p>The mouse is better than a pen for working with text and menus. It works best in the relative mode, where the cursor starts to move from its current position. You can also connect a regular mouse (or trackball) at the same time as the table, and use it when you're not using the pen tool. Just don't lay the pen on the tablet - it will override the mouse, and the cursor will just quiver without moving.</p>

<p>I'm a lefty, so I draw with my left hand, and "mouse" with my right. That works out pretty well for me.</p>

<p>My Wacom is ancient, but still works well with PhotoShop. I find it indispensable, but recall it took a little getting used to when I bought mine in the mid 90's. I would really like to upgrade at some point. I find a mid-sized tablet to be perfect to work with. I concur that wired is not an issue to me. I do cuss at my wireless mouse on a regular basis, and already replaced my wireless keyboard with a wired one.</p>

<p>for your first wacom i suggest a Wacom Bamboo pen and touch 6x8.. all you need to get your hand and technique. Then maybe couple years from now you can invest in a more expensive Intuos, and maybe realize that you dont gain much if you are not doing heavy cosmetic retouching..</p>

<p>i have and still use a graphire / bamboo tablet with my laptop and at home, and 2 years ago i bought a Intuos for the studio because i needed a christmas gift and a reason to spend some $... and i use a wacom for the past 10 years for approx 40hres a week.. no mouse on my desk since then. I dont see the use of a mouse for anything except if you are a gammer or a video / music artist... for anything other than that.. the wacom is all you need.</p>

<p>I bought a used Wacom Intuos3 6x8 tablet just last week for $100. It works really well, a lot easier than my wireless mouse. It is much more precise in controlling the cursor movements. Must less frustrating in editing/retouching my photos. I use it with Aperture and love it.<br>

JB</p>

“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

— Wayne Gretsky