early Ercona I

JDMvW

The Ercona I was made after the war by the VEB Zeiss Ikon in what became the DDR. It has a Novar 11cm f/4.5

lens. Speeds are B, 25,50,

and 100. My copy of it is very early and lacks the provision for a mask to shoot 6x6 rather than 6x9-- It has

only the one red window on the back, in any case

Mine has a very dimly impressed "Ercona" on the back leatherette, but otherwise is identical to slightly earlier

production of the Ikonta C (521/2).

I was so inspired by the recent spate of old folder shoots here, most recently today with Louis Meluso's Franka

that I finally overcame my inertia enough to get out when there was some light on these darkening days.<div>00RdUU-93021784.jpg.fe0cb285fbe03dd559dba61b2777deef.jpg</div>

Nice shots, JDM. I'm always impressed by shots from these old folders, and by the cameras themselves. Your camera is a good looking one and it looks like that lens performs very well with excellent color rendition. Thanks for sharing these. You guys are going to persuade me to try using folders before too long!

Pretty camera, and pretty shots, JDM. As Andy pointed out, this old lens certainly handles graduations of colour very accurately; there are a host of different browns and reds in your "Footpath" pic. I guess the large negative helps things along; at one stage in my life I was shooting on 10x8 inch Ektachrome, and nothing was really the same after that...

Good stuff, JDM.

Dunno about you, but to me there's something really satisfying about shooting with a very basic / fully manual camera. The feeling that I did it, and not the computer / autofocus / autometer camera. Plus, when I shoot in weird lighting, I have a higher rate of keepers when shooting manually than I do when shooting with auto-everything units.

Beautiful shots JDM, How much would it cost to get that kind of quality out of a camera made today? If people keep posting the great results from these old folders, maybe the new photog kids will get the bug to try something really good, instead of just good enough. Hats off to you and thanks for showing us your great results.

Great series JDM, the fallen log on the campus lake looks great. I have been trying to get my hands on an Ercona with a Tessa on it, for some time now, no such luck yet as they are decidedly rare in US and freight costs from Germany are astronomic at this time. Maybe one day...<p>

Well done.

Yes, they are actually great cameras. Although I shot mine on a tripod with a bushing adapter, it wasn't a lot more steady than hand holding. The real problem with these is that really tight composition is not easy because of the primitive viewfinder on the Model I.