E6 or C41 for digital landscape prints?

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by randall cherry, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Hi All,

In the past (i.e. when prints always came from optical enlargement
    and wet darkroom processes), E6 film was generally considered by many
    to be the standard choice for landscape photography when the final
    product was intended to be a print with saturated colors.

Has being able to scan film and make digital prints affected the
    choice of startng materials? Especially considering the increased
    control digital processing allows coupled with the newer emulsions
    now available. In other words, when the final product will be a
    digital print of a landscape scene done through a high quality scan
    of film, is there a general preference for E6 films or C41 films?

TIA,

--Randall

2. Today's newest E6 films do have finer grain and higher resolution than their C41 counterparts, which is always a plus.

Many photographers prefer C41 for portraiture, but since you specified landscape, I think you'll be more pleased with E6.

3. For technical reasons that I do not understand grain in even the finest negative film appears in scans while the grain in transparencies does not - at the same enlargement.

4. Although color negatives have a couple more stops of capture range, the optimum lighting conditions (early morning or late afternoon) are within slide film's range. Slide film's greater output density means less compression and better tonality. If your scanner has a good D range, go with slide.

5. "For technical reasons that I do not understand grain in even the finest negative film appears in scans while the grain in transparencies does not - at the same enlargement."

It's because you increase contrast when you print negatives. This accentuates grian.

6. I believe the reason why neg film scans with larger grain than slide is due to higher accutence in the film. In an image, it boosts edge contrast and makes grain more visible. If I'm wrong, the experts will let me know.

7. Big Dog

I agree with R.T. Dowling.

Dudeness