DSLR Tight Lens Flange

steve_levine

<p>I just acquired a used D80, (to replace my recently stolen D50). I've immediately noticed that all of my lenses fit a bit tight on this camera. I don't have to force them on, but almost.</p>

<p> They fit much tighter than any other Nikon I've ever owned. Is this a potential problem in any way? Do I ignore it and shoot on? or do I go thru the pain of returning it to the (very reputable) seller?</p>

<p>I actually just got the camera, and haven't charged the battery to shoot with it yet.<br>

thanks in advance for any hopefully, helpful advice.</p>

<p>It would depend on how tight 'tighter' is. Too tight is not good or normal and could be an indication of an issue. I owned a D80 and the mount was no different than any other Nikon body I have ever owned. You should not have to 'force' a lens on the body. </p>

<p>Try thoroughly cleaning the mount before anything else Steve. A dirty mount increases friction between lens and camera and makes the fit of lenses feel much tighter. If the fit is still stiff, then check the condition of the 3 leaf springs recessed behind the bayonet of the camera. If one or more of these are bent or displaced then that'll be the problem. It's possible to bend a spring forward so that it catches on the little guide tab next to it, preventing the spring from compressing properly. If that's the case then you might be able to ease the spring back to its correct position.</p>

<p>If it is too tight, it might have been inadvertantly bent out of flat alignment by the previous owner, either through a fall with a lens mounted, or thru rough mounting and dismounting of a lens. I would be very cautious and probably return it for a refund.</p>

<p>I have easily used 40 to 50 different Nikon SLRs over the years, and I have never had that kind of experience on any one of them. If the lens mount feels tight on a used Nikon DSLR body, most likely that lens mount has experienced some type of impact. I.e. the camera might have been dropped.</p>

<p>I would return that camera. But if you want to double check, you can set that D80 up on a tripod can capture a flat wall. Make sure that the sensor plane is parallel to the wall. Use f8 to have some depth of field. Check the image at 100% pixel level. If the mount is not flat parallel to the sensor, you should see one side or one corner out of focus.</p>

<p>And keep in mind that should you decide not to return this D80 but decide to sell it in the future, the next buyer will likely have the same question. This camera will be difficult to sell, although a D80 must be dirt cheap now so that your loss is quite limited.</p>

<p>I've seen a bent Nikon mount, and it was pretty obvious that it was out of flat because the dull reflection either side of the screw recesses didn't line up. In other words you could see a distinct depression where the mount had been pulled up from its moorings. Another test would be to run a straight-edge ruler over the mount and look for any light between ruler and mount.</p>