DPReview.com posts LX2 review

phule

I've been looking for a small a small digital camera with advanced features and was considering the Panasonic LX-2, Ricoh GR-D, and Fuji F30, until I read that the GR-D had serious noise issues (which some have insisted look just like film grain) and until I read the review posted here. Now it looks as though I'll go for the Fuji F30. Since there are no longer any small digicams with an F/2.0 lens, good performance at 400 ISO and above becomes more important than other advanced features like RAW or image stabilization.

This is my understanding of the results of the review:

For highest image quality:

- Use ISO 100

- Shoot RAW

- Use your own noise reduction software like NoiseNinja and others.

Those accustomed to shooting at high ISO will not appreciate the LX2's high noise at or above ISO 200.

Others, using digical p&s at ISO 50 without image stabilization will appreciate a doubling of ISO speed plus IS. But if all you need from a digital p&s are 4" x 6" prints and web use, forget about this camera.

"Since there are no longer any small digicams with an F/2.0 lens, good performance at 400 ISO and above becomes more important than other advanced features like RAW or image stabilization."

I agree with you. It seems like all we are getting are huge zoom ranges with apertures starting at f/2.8, ISO starting at 100, image stabilization and severe noise reduction. Is there any manufacturer out there that could make a digital point and shoot with a wide angle to small telelens (something like 24-85mm equivalent), f/2.0 - f/3.5 and ISO settings starting at 50 ? If you had a bright lens to start with, there would be no need to pump up the ISO settings, hence less noise reduction would be needed, hence less image stabilization would be necessary to correct for longer exposure times.

I've been looking at the LX-2, but after reading several posts and the dpreview report, I'm not sure if I will get it. Maybe the Leica camera based on the LX-2 that was announced at Photokina comes with a different software.

I saw an announcement for the Sigma DP1 with a fixed 28mm. I thought that might be interesting, until I discovered it has a maximum aperture of only f/4.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06092604sigmadp1.asp

Surely Sigma should be able to put a better lens on that camera.

Are there any digital point and shoots that have a fast wide angle lens AND good image quality ?

"Surely Sigma should be able to put a better lens on that camera.

Are there any digital point and shoots that have a fast wide angle lens AND good image quality ?" Jan

Sony R1? Probably not if you mean compact. If you find one, let us know. The major problem is I think, getting a fast wide lens and a large sensor in a compact package. An f2.0 or 2.8 and an APS-size sensor makes for something not compact.

Possibilites? Maybe Panasonic will consider such a thing with the 4/3" sensor and a Leica-spec'd lens. Maybe some sensor/camera maker will get around to designing a 1" sensor for this purpose.

I don't know all the digicams made...maybe there's something on the used market. But what, I don't know.

--

Don E