Downsizing an Image

I am trying to reduce an image to fit into a very small locket (Christmas

present). The images (from film negatives) are on a cd and I have been

successful in reducing the images to the size I want but the images are very

pixelated. I am using Paint Shop Pro. I'm not sure what I doing wrong. I'm sure

my photolab could do this for me but I would like to learn how to do this. Any

help would be appreciated.

I'm using Paint Shop Pro 9. The image size I want is about 1/2" wide and about 5/8" tall. Under "Image-Resize" there are two sections, Pixel Dimensions and Print size. So I selected the Print Size and entered the new image size. I unchecked the box: "Resample Using" which changed the pixels automatically when I entered the new size. Gosh, this is so hard to explain when I don't know what I'm doing. Does this info help?

<p>Some info is left out like what is the output method; printer, digital print from Kiosko?</p>

<p>The best you can do is match the best resolution of the output, i.e., if you're printing to a printer that does no better than 600dpi, then that's the best you can do. So, crop the original to get the face as big as you can and to the framing you want to see in the locket, then resize using the best dpi you can (i.e., 600 dpi if the output can utilize that resolution. You can go beyond the resolution of the output, but you won't gain any benefit in the print.)</p>

<p>Then resize the physical size to match the locket, ignore the pixel dimensions as that automatically is set by the resolution and physical (print) size you choose. That's it.</p>

Anthony, I plan to save the images to a cd and have a professional lab print them out for me. Maybe that is my problem. I'm probably downsizing in Print Shop Pro correctly but my printer can't handle the dpi. I'll try your suggestions and take the cd to my lab tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

I figure 300 DPI for printing at Costco. If you do find a finisher that can make 600 DPI prints, then double these sizes. You will get more detail. The first step is to calculate the size of the finished picture in pixels. Yours would be 150 pixels wide x 188 pixels high at 300 DPI. Note that the picture you are making is smaller than any standard print and we will allow blank space around it to get it away from the edge in a standard print. You will have to cut away the excess border yourself using a razor blade and a steel ruler as a guide. I prefer doing it this way because paper cutters often let the paper slip. This image is too small to see very well and hold accurately in a paper cutter anyway.

You will need a calculator for the next part. Make a copy of your original picture you can destroy through cropping. Select the area you want to put in the locket. Choose either the horizontal or vertical dimension to be your guide. Now adjust the selection to be proportional to the finished size you want. (1) you choose the horizontal. The vertical size is horizontal selection pixels/150 x 188. (2) You choose the vertical. The horizontal size is vertical selection pixels/188 x 150. Adjust the selection to match your calculation, then crop the picture. What is left is the exact image to go into the locket. Now resize it to your finished size. You can keep the dimensions proportional since the ratio of horizontal to vertical dimensions is the same for both sizes.

The resulting picture is very small and will fit on the smallest paper the processor has. Create a new picture and copy and paste your finished image onto it. Set the upper left origin for the image to be 150 pixels in both directions (X & Y). This is to move the image 1/2" down and in from the upper left corner of the finished print. Save the result as a high quality JPEG file and sent it to your finisher.

I use this procedure for Microsoft Photo Editor and Adobe Fireworks MX to get my 4x6s right. I believe the approach works independently of the software you have.

Albert

If I wanted small images to be printed either in a lab or at home I would first set up up a new blank page of say 4" X 6" at 600dpi. Then import your cropped image (in PhotoShop you can just drag it across using the move tool) and resize it to approx the size you want. If necessary use the ruler to get the right dimensions. At this point I would replicate the image as many times as possible within the print area changing the size slightly so that you get a good range. Flatten the image, save and print to the initial size set (4 X 6).

This might help - http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/digital_image_resizing.html

Check "resample using" and use "weighted average".

Set Resolution to 300 Pixels/Inch.

Set Width/Height to your final dimensions.

Hit the "OK" button, then "Adjust -> Sharpness -> Sharpen"

Print with Scale set to 100%

That should get you close to what you want