double exposure

circaphotos

Hey everyone I was wondering if there is any way to make a double exposure

through the camera on a canon 30d. I know that you can on the elan 7e because I

was able to do it on my old camera, but with the 30d i can't find out how to do

it anywhere and i would rather not just do it in photoshop.

thank you,

aj

About the only way I can think of would be to set the camera to Bulb exposure, use very high F-number (small aperture), and use flash. This way you could open the shutter, fire the flash manually, cover the lens, move to the next scene, uncover the lens, fire the flash again...just speculating, but it should be possible - I will give it a go today and check it out.

I agree that it's quite simple to do it in Photoshop - but an obvious barrier is the need to own a multi-hundred dollar piece of software!

It might be more difficult to achieve in digital camera than in a film one due to the nature of the actual image...? Perhaps overlaying 1s and 0s in a relatively low processing power piece of hardware is a problem?

BTW, Picture Window will do the combination of two images with no problem at a fraction of the price (plus lots of other goodies there) so you could try PW, I guess...

Of course PW is not "the latest and greatest" and does not look as flashy as for instance Lightroom, but it is a damn good piece of software AFAIAC.

Tens of thousands of photographers have no problem keeping PhotoShop on their computer.

If you have a legal, licensed version, you shouldn't have either.

You can find cheap, or even free, software to combine images. You don't need full blown PhotoShop.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

the upside to doing it right in the camera (which nikons have the option to do)

is you can see it right then and there on the lcd

when your doing something that is specific to a persons position you dont want to have to go back and reshoot because your relize later in photoshop that the images arent exactly lining up.

(and i say this from expirience as i cursed the heavens after seeing a nikon user do this) =^_^=