Does the photographer give a wedding gift to the bride/couple?

<p>I've only shot a few (small-ish) weddings so I'm not sure how this should go. Is it customary for the photographer to bring/give a wedding gift to the bride on the day of the wedding like everybody else (like not photography related)? Or, to give them something extra for free as their gift later even (that may be photography related)? This wedding I'm about to go shoot tomorrow is a full day's event, and I charged full price. There will be a lot of work and I haven't promised the bride anything special, extra, or free. I'm just asking behind the scenes if this is something photographers do on their own or if it's a social norm I'm not familiar with. (For reference, I don't really know this girl who is getting married, but my mother-in-law taught her in grade school and thinks highly of her. I shot her engagement photos last week though and we got along great.) </p>

<p>If I have genuinely liked a couple during the contract work-up I might offer them a little something extra and call it a wedding gift. Or, on occasions after the wedding I may throw something extra in the package and let them know it was a gift.</p>

<p>It's important to remember boundaries while shooting a wedding and never confuse friendliness/generosity with your clients. You're there as a professional and not a guest. OTOH, if you find yourself shooting for friends/family this will change that dynamic...... but also leaves you vulnerable to a bunch of other stuff.</p>

If I know the people pretty well there is a winery in upstate California that will put their names and the date of their wedding

on the bottles. You have to buy about 6 bottles. Kind of a cool idea. Other than that I usually don't offer discounts once the

contract is signed.

It's a very good question.

<p>Customarily, the answer is no, but I think it depends on the relationship you have with the B&G. </p>

<p>For example, when your sister in law gets married (I have that coming up this year), not <em>only</em> will you be getting them a gift, you'll <em>also</em> be offering your services at no charge (especially if they don't have a monstrous budget).</p>

<p>If you<em> do</em> know them well, and you are <em>not</em> discounting your services significantly (which could be considered a valuable 'gift' in most cases - I certainly treat it as such when I offer the 'friends and family' discount), then I would think a wedding gift is appropriate.</p>

Thanks Bob & Marcus. Sounds like different people do different things and it's not customary but it is up to the photographer. I also have a milestones customer who has seen me every 3 months from her maternity session to her baby's first year and I'm thinking I should do something special for the 1 year shoot coming up since I've never given her a discount and didn't sell the sessions as a package. It may not be much but perhaps I can do up a collage that she can print or something special. My time in Photoshop is something I will charge extra for when it comes to special projects so I'm thinking that might be a nice gift.

<blockquote>

<p>I also have a milestones customer ... I'm thinking I should do something special for the 1 year shoot ... It may not be much but perhaps I can do up a collage <strong>that she can print</strong> or something special ... I'm thinking that might be a nice gift.</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br /> What is probably “common” (not customary), is for many businesses in the SERVICE sector to provide more than the customer’s expectations. My observation of businesses is those who supply more than customer’s expectations are more often than not the more successful businesses.<br /> <br /> This is different to providing a ‘wedding gift’, as such. <br /> <br /> On the topic of supplying something extra: <br /> > some tangible example of one's finished work can and probably will be kept forever <br /> > a discount is usually forgotten within six weeks <br /> > an image file is nice, but presents 'work' for the client and may never be printed or framed<br /><br /> <br /> WW <br /> <br /> P.S. Offering services one's pro bono is a different subject: so is working for family/close friends - and my comment above, is not a comment on either of those topics.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I am not a professional photographer, so maybe I am off here.</p>

<p>The local photography studio that did our kids high school pictures (the ones for the yearbook, and that families can buy packages of) includes in each package a coupon for a session at the studio.</p>

<p>If I remember, it covers the sitting fee and one 8x10, and of course they expect you to buy some more prints. </p>

<p>Seems to me that a coupon could be a nice gift to add to the pile of gifts.</p>

<p>Otherwise, a frame ready for one of the prints you will make might also be a nice gift.</p>

-- glen