Does the 17-55mm 2.8 require a slim filter?

trevor_martin

<p>While in the past I've usually not bothered with protective filters since the hood gave adequate protection, but lately I've been working in conditions where there is a lot of blowing sand and grit that has left a few harmless yet annoying scratches on my old 17-85mm. I just purchased the 17-55mm and would like to keep the glass clean to maintain resale value in case I ever do upgrade to full-frame. While I usually go for hoya filters I was looking at the B+W MRC as it's supposed to be more scratch resistant, which is attractive to me since I expect to have to clean the filter often in the field due to the above mentioned conditions. I've searched but I haven't seen a straight answer of whether or not this lens requires a low-profile filter, which the B+W is not. Thank-you.</p>

<p>I use standard Hoya HMC-Pro UV and Polarizing filters on my 17-55 IS and there is zero vignetting. I think the standard B&W filter rims are a little thicker than Hoya but I haven't used B&W on this particular lens.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Heliopans are slim filters. For 17-55mm lens on crop body, you don't need slim filters. I used this lens for 2 years without using slim filters, just fine. Now I am using 16-35mm f/2.8L II on 5D Mark II, I use Heliopan slim filer, no vignetting.</p>