Does a Good Book on Digital Photography Exist?

zigzag

I read about 30 books on digital photography last year and I could not recommend

a singular book for someone getting an up to date semi-pro capable camera. I

find myself recommending film based books such as 'Understanding Exposure' by

Bryan Peterson and 'Nature Photographer's Field Guide' by John Shaw - why

because they explain the concepts clearly and thoroughly and are vendor

agnostic. Is there a book that -<br>

1. Doesn't start with 30 pages of 'what a camera looks like' that won't be out

of date in 2 years.<br>

2. Talks about digital concepts - e.g. non linear sensor response, exposing to

the right, protecting highlights, digital noise, channels, AA filters, moire,

CA, ...<br>

3. Discusses autofocus modes and metering modes.<br>

4. Discusses Manual, aperture priority and shutter priority, ISO...<br>

5. Discusses light and composition.<br>

6. Introduces flash concepts and lighting (a lead in to another book - I

understand Light Science & Magic is good but I haven't read that one.)<br><br>

Are the technologies so tied in to the vendor that it is not possible to write a

digital book that leads a dedicated beginner through the concepts. Ansell Adams

achieved his target in 3 books 'The Camera', 'The Negative', 'The Print' - OK

maybe 'are there three definitive books that a Canon, Nikon, Leica, Olympus, ...

user' could pick up and read to get a good grounding in modern (digital)

photography? 'The Light', 'The Camera', 'The Digital Darkroom' (I could take

the last one being Photoshop related as that is close to an industry standard.

I think you want the digital photography equivalent of "The Joy of Cooking." Fact is, it doesn't exist. No one who cooks owns just one cookbook. My digital "cookbooks" are in a shelf space "race" with my kitchen lit. That said, Tom Ang's revised(2007) Advanced Digital Photography is as good as most--maybe better for its clarity and concision.

Hahaha, if I went to my local libary, I think the most modern photography book would have a picture of a Zenit E on the front, and inside would be pictures of naked ladies with the shadows from venetian blinds across their bodies. When I had my first Zenit, the books in the library featured old view camera and Brownies!

'Au contraire,' Glen, I see a bunch of worthy books,e,g, The Complete Guide to Digital Photography by Michael Freeman, a concise introduction. Am now working through a book on digital darkroom and people graphic work called Skin by Lee Varis, (library copy with CD-ROM) but I think it is going to join my library. May give up tasteless pastries at neighborhood Corporate Coffee as new years res,and buy a book a month,so why not?gs

I am in a library and have read all their selection. e.g. Andy Rouse's "Digital SLR Masterclass" - emailed him about ETTR (he recommends underexposing by 1/3 for wildlife - he told me to get back in my box -)<br><br>

I have followed online discussion on the Margulis book and tried some of that - it's a 'to do' for me - was on my Xmas list but somehow became transliterated into 'silvered umbrella with stand.'<br><br>

I've read a couple of Tom Ang - maybe his latest one is good. There is a lot of general dross around otherwise, especially at the library. I have been worried about recommending "Understanding Exposure" to people as when I read it I gained far less from it than from John Shaw's book - which is why I was asking if there is a modern alternative - both are a bit dated because modern sensors do behave differently to film.<br><br>

I will check out the Lee Varis book. I have Kelby's "Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers" which is more of a 'dip in' book of tips. The other one looks interesting<br><br>

I will see what Amazon reviews of these say also, thanks.

Looks like Scott's books mentioned are again of the "do this, don't ask why" tips type - as some of the reviews say - for the beginner 5*, for the Pro 1* or 2* but for $12 a bargain (with a Volume 2 soon available.) I would feel hesitant recommending it to someone as a way to learn photographic concepts - the humour in it has taken some stick also<br><br>

Tom Ang's Advanced Digital Photography looks good - would have to view that one.<br><br>The Complete Guide to Digital Photography sounds like it would be worthwhile, especially for someone coming from Film. Freeman's other book "Pro Digital Photographer's Handbook" looks like it would be a good read also.<br><br>

The Lee Varis book looks good - DVD also available. So, for myself, I have this new list of "must reads" -<br>

Canyon Conundrum - Dan Margulis<br>

Light Science & Magic - Fil Hunter et al.<br>

Pro Digital Photographer's Handbook - Michael Freeman<br>

and maybe/alternatively "Advanced Digital Photography" by Tom Ang<br><br>

For the dedicated beginner, maybe The Complete Guide to Digital Photography by Michael Freeman, and for $12 Scott Kelby's "The Digital Photography Book."

As Glen said...S.Kolby's books are definitely of the "do this...don't do that" variety with very little...if any explanation as to why. Still, "The Digital Photography Book"...is very good for beginner...beginners. A volume no.2 ...taking things a little further would be wonderful. His PS "Elements" books, while still offering minimal explanation for the "whys"... is certainly a nice thick book that covers lots of territory. It enables beginners to successfully accomplish tasks w/ Elements...which is very encouraging to anyone feeling "lost" in this new world that is photography. hopefully the reader can figure out some of the whys on their own...or do like i do when i'm stymied...pester anyone who does know why!