Do you show all of the photos taken in a session to your client?

Hi,

I'm just starting out and plan to start charging for my work in

another few months. For now, I'm doing children's portrait sessions

for free for friends and acquatinances. So, if I take anywhere from

150 to 250 pictures in a session, how many of those should I show to

my client?

I edit all decent pictures and never show them unedited ones. But,

how many proofs should they expect to see from one , 1 hour session?

Many pictures are the same pose, but maybe a different tilt of the

head, etc.

I'm editing everything and it takes forever. Opinions?

Thanks

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like the old saying goes, "you're only as strong as your weakest link".

You're only as good as your worst shot. They WILL remember that not so great shot your threw in there, thinking, I could do that!

With that said, 125+ shots????? Wow! This is your first problem. Yes kids are a little more diffacult and sometimes you just shoot & pray. You're taking way too many pictures to begin with. Make them count.

For a single person I take what I think are the best 8 and put in a folio. I may or may not hand them a few more nice proofs in an envelope.

For your second problem. Kids will not last 1 hour for your typical session. You need to be ready to go when that kid comes in. Unless you have a unique way on entertaining the kid he won't last very long at all. When you think you have what you need, try to get a couple insurance shots and call it a day. Adults, unless they're a model can't take an hour of posing.

Part of this will come with experiance. Once you have your style you won't worry about every little tilt of the head.

The 1 hour sessions I'm referring to actually take place in botanical gardens, so they are walking and exploring while I take the shots. 125 pictures is not too many, for kids move FAST and multiple shots have to be taken. Trust me...I have to take that many to get enough gorgeous shots to show. Yes, with time/experience, I may be able to take fewer, more perfect pictures, but for now I shoot away!

I've seen one newspaper man 'blast' away at a children's function. He must have shot 90 frames for one 'image' to go into the newspaper. If he were fixing automobile engines, he'd go broke trying 89 oil filters to get at the one that was "just right."

If, after 30 or 40 frames, you do not have a dozen or two images to show the parents, you might consider framing/studying your subject a bit longer before shooting. **Just a suggestion.**

After one hour I would usually have about 12 to 15 pictures to show. Depending on the subject and surrounds I may take 200-300 pictures, but I only show the absolute best pictures that make me happy that I woke up that morning.

Part of it is a balancing act, how many pictures do you think they will buy at your prices? If you are giving away a CD/DVD full of pictures you may want to up that count considerably. But if you are only going to sell prints, then the number would be lower.

Paige - I struggle with this also.

JC - I am children's photographer and my typical studio session is also an hour long even with outfit changes. Most children do make it an hour and do wonderfully. I hate to rush them and pose them so we basically just play.

Paige - Back to your questions - At first I was doing the same thing you are. Taking about 200 photos and then going back and editing each one - nervous to delete any because that might be the shot they want.... My husband told me I was making $.10 and hour for as much time I was spending fixing each shot.

I still take at least 100 photos but am starting to narrow it down to 50 proofs that are edited and presented on an image reduced CD. Remember, if the client doesn't see it they won't miss it. That being said, I try to include shots captuirng all of their personality and not just the smiling ones. Even at 50 proofs some parents are overwhelmed and it takes weeks to determine their order. In end my average client will purchase about 3-5 different shots, many of which are my initial favorites as well. So just trust yourself and your eye and remember that all your photographs are a representation of your skills and style so only give them images that you are proud of.

Hope this helps....

Emily

www.gigglesngrinsphotography.com