Do I need Photoshop?

purplealien

<p>Hi<br>

I'm new to digital, and I'm slowly learning how to use Nikon's ViewNX2 and Capture NX2.<br>

I'd like to have a go at combining RAW files (i.e. a RAW exposed for the sky with one exposed for the land) in a single image. I can't work out how to do this in Capture NX2. Is Photoshop the best way to do this?<br>

Must admit I'm finding the range of Adobe products a bit confusing.<br>

Which product is best?<br>

What can PS do that Elements can't?<br>

What is Imageready?<br>

I'd really appreciate the help. PS in particular is very expensive, and I've already (perhaps foolishly) bought NX2!</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

Chris</p>

<p>You weren't foolish, buying NX2. It's a very powerful editor and handles Nikon's RAW files better than any other piece of software. Despite having other editors (including those that can combine images/objects), I use NX2 for most of my processing. <br /><br />If you're particulary interested in stitching images, use NX2 to render TIFs or JPGs, and then work on them in another package. You certainly don't have to spend Photoshop kind of money. Check out free trials of tools from Corel, for example.</p>

<p>Another vote for NX2 - my RAW conversions with this are much superior to anything else I've used including Adobe Camera Raw. For HDR type work, I'd not bother with Photoshop - there are other tools around (FDRtools, Photomatix etc.). I'm using a Panasonic G1 now as well as the D300 and find having to use non NX2 raw converting software are real pain!</p>

<p>I personally would have a hard time getting along without the full version of Photoshop. But for a beginner, Photoshop Elements is more than adequate.</p>

<p>Not the least of the benefits of Photoshop Elements is that it is in many way preparation/training for using the full Photoshop in general.<br>

However, many people will never need, and most people will never use, the full power of Photoshop; but it is a magnificent program. There are a dozen ways to do just about anything you want to with images. For a professional or a person working at a professional level, it is unparalleled and unequaled.</p>

<p>But, as I said, not everybody wants to get that <em>far</em> into image editing. For them Photoshop Elements may be as far as they ever need to go.</p>

<p>It is more than possible to achieve good results with other programs. At least one powerful editing program GIMP is "free", if you don't count your own time as costing anything. Quite a lot can be done with the programs provided by the camera makers like Nikon and Canon. For some, the editing capabilities built into some image <em>management</em> (not image editing) programs like Lightroom or Aperture are enough.</p>

<p>Photoshop is overwhelming and hard to get better at if you do not use it very regularly. <br>

Photoshop Elements is much more manageable and while easier to learn, still takes real time before you can comfortably grasp all its tools. <br>

NX2 is outstanding with Nikon RAW files called NEF files. It doesn't require "layers" as Photoshop does if you want to do non-destructive edits, and the U-point adjustments with their automatic masks are WAY easier than creating masks yourself. Unfortunately much about NX2 is not intuitive and there is a learning curve. A book helps. But once you "get it" its a very easy program to use and quite powerful. <br>

I use NX2 for RAW conversion, color, shadow, highlight adjusts, and curves and cropping. If nothing more is needed I sharpen with it too. If I want to go further and say, clone things in or out, then I save as a TIFF and import the TIFF into Photoshop/PSElements for further edits. </p>

<p>I have the full PS and the Nikon's you mention as well as several others. I always end up using PS Elements 5.0 and so should you. Why? It is easy, friendly, does everything you "need" and you can buy it for $10.00 yes ten dollars and free shipping on eBay. PS is the standard by which all others are measured so just jump in and do it. PS Elements 5.0 is the way to go. Later if you find that you "need" something else then get it. (not likely)</p>

<p>I had a couple of versions of Elements, but carried on using PaintShopPro.<br>

I have a new copy of PsPro but still use the old one, some things about the way it works is more convenient for the way I work. I'll have to kick it eventually I suppose.</p>

<p>I had Photoshop CS2 on the PC long enough to begin liking it and think it was really , really good. However it was using all the PC resources and wanting more, and it also wanted a lot of money to keep it. As my livelihood doesn't depend on it, I decided I didn't need to buy it. Not yet anyway.</p>

<p>So basically, its a personal choice, but you probably don't need it, and if you might, you're probably still better starting with Elements or Paintshop Pro, and then seeing if you need more. I don't think I would suggest Gimp unless money is really tight, but it does work OK, and a lot of people are satisfied with it.</p>

<p>Incidentally, I use Capture One for raw files, but then I use 3 different types of file, and none are Nikon. NX2 sounds good if you're using Nikon.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Photoshop is of course a massive state of the art graphics program, but as a <em>graphics compositing</em> program it contains far more than just "photographic adjustment." And, sometimes that "far more" means a steep learning curve if all you want to do is "digital darkroom."</p>

<p>In contrast, Adobe's Lightroom 3 <em>is</em> a digital darkroom, and doesn't contain all the compositing and graphics production features of Photoshop. Result? A faster learning curve and software tailored to the job of improving pictures.</p>

<p>Some of the reasons I like Lightroom 3 over Photoshop for photography work are that it has full image management databasing, and it has mass import and export facilities. When you open Lightroom, the controls for adjusting your image are obvious, neatly and logically arranged and familiar. It takes just seconds to make your basic exposure, contrast and brightness settings. And while Photoshop edits the file directly, Lightroom uses the sidecar file approach to place all edits in a separate file never changing the original. You can then, easily make 10 versions of the same photo while always retaining the original "negative" so to speak. Although you can accomplish this in Photoshop by doing file copies and such, it is much simpler in Lightroom.</p>

<p>Either way, Adobe offers a nice 30-day trial of full versions on all their programs. Try them!</p>

Photoshop elements ISA wonderful program and the latest version offers layer masking along side some good enough

improvement. CS5 is more powerful but the learning curve is massive "if you have no to little experience"

Download the trail of whatever program you set your mind to and give it a try.

I use elements for photo editing on my scanned negatives "very basic stuff" I'm still learning on how to post process my

photos and Elements delivered for me.

However, it "elements" doesn't process 16bit files.

<p>Chris:<br>

Whether you go for Elements or CSx I highly recommend getting hold of the Scott Kelby book "Photoshop CSx (or Elements) Book for Digital Photographers".<br>

In fact all his books, I think, are excellent and worth checking out.<br>

Good luck,<br>

Dave D</p>

I agree with Dave. Book(s) would be a good start. Better yet, a video tutorials or DVD(s)

I personally subscribed to a magazine with video tutorial links to watch.

Kelby and lynda has great DVDs and kelby has books too.

Good luck with your choice and I believe you can't go wrong with any of adobe's product.

<p>Another vote for Photoshop Elements, but with one big "but...!" thrown in.<br>

What you'd ideally need for combining multiple images as described is best done with layer masks, which are not by default available in PS Elements. It can be done, with a bit of trickery, since Elements can use 'actions' made in full-blow Photoshop, so googling for PSE layer mask will yield you such actions. And it looks like PSE8 solves the problem too.<br>

GIMP is a decent free choice too, and Paint.NET continues to grow in a very viable free alternative. For the main work, though, I'd also agree the money on CaptureNX 2 is not wasted. It's a far more compotent program than it may seem at first face. So while shopping for books, maybe a CaptureNX2 specific book would be good added value too.</p>

<p>You asked about ImageReady--Adobe has discontinued this but it was basically a special mode for Photoshop with special features for internet/web images. Not particularly oriented towards the photographer. The same functionality is now incorporated into photoshop, dreamweaver, etc.</p>

<p>You should be able to do well with an up-to-date raw converter like Capture NX; when you need more fine control for compositing, etc. then you use Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, GIMP, Corel, etc. The newer Photoshop versions do offer some improvements but much of the basic capability remains in much older versions or the less expensive Elements.</p>

<p>+1 for GIMP. The price is right (free) and you can move on to photoshop if you feel you need to once you get the general idea. GIMP lacks some features that PS has (adjustment layers) but when you are ready for that you can decide if you want photoshop or not.</p>

<p>Thanks guys<br>

Have decided I will concentrate on getting the most out of Capture NX2 first; then try GIMP and/or Elements. Nothing to stop me taking pics with HDR in mind for processing at some future point when I'm ready.<br>

One of the slightly annoying things as a beginner is that almost every "how to" article is about Photoshop!<br>

I been tweaking my snaps for years using a programme called Micrographics Picture Publisher. Remember that? I loved it; so easy to use. Nb. I think I have a Betamax video recorder somewhere too! ;-)<br>

Thanks again<br>

Chris</p>