megan_stone

<p>i just put together my own sandbags for an outdoor shoot i have,<br>

to use on my lights.<br>

the weather is fine, no wind expected, but just in case. i've put it<br>

on my scale, and its 6kg. is that enough to hold down a stand<br>

in normal summer weather, no wind. i have standard manfrotto stands,<br>

is that too much weight to toss it on them or could they break?<br>

where exactly are sandbags normally placed? thank you</p>

<p>6kg should be a good weight for a light stand, in no wind. I just put the bag on the spreader between the legs.</p>

<p>Be aware that an umbrella will catch any wind, no matter how light, and will always conspire to tip the stand, no matter how well weighted. Just be observant and careful.</p>

<p><Chas><br /><br /></p>

<p>Megan,</p>

<p>If the wind is prevailing from one general direction, I try to place the stand with one leg pointed with the direction of the wind (that is pointed away from the wind direction) to provide the greatest resistance to the lean in that direction. That leaves the two other legs painted at quarters to the wind. Those two legs need to be weighted, so I try to place the bag across both if possible. If that's not possible, put the bag as far out on the brace as you can, hopefully right up against the connection with the outer part of the leg.</p>

<p>I have bags that are long, with stitching up the middle, along with a handle, so they look kind of like motorcyle or horse saddlebags. You can hang them on the middle as Nadine suggests, with one half going to either side. If you have a lot of wind, you can put a sandbag on each leg. If you have to do that, put them toward the ends of the legs to create a broad base in terms of weight, as opposed to everything in the center.</p>