DIY aluminum honeycomb grid

dothesteve

<p>An older thread mentioned using industrial stock from McMaster-Carr to make one's own light grid. Here's the supplier:<br>

http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-honeycomb/=z1t7n<br>

The open grid stock comes in thicknesses ranging from 1/4" to 1", with either a 1/2" or 1" cell size. There is also grid stock sandwiched between panels that goes down to 1/8" with a 3/8" cell size. (I've emailed them to find out if this available without the panel sandwich.) One might assume that 1/2" thickness + 1/2" cell size = 45º spread. But then one could be making an ass out of u and me. Anyone know how to estimate light spread for this type of metal stock?<br>

Thx!</p>

<p>It looks like the cell size varies with the thickness, so you can't get an assortment of cell sizes in a given thickness.</p>

<p>Large cells in thick material ~= small cells in thin material, so it seems to me that you don't really have a way to effectively make a set of various beam spread grids this way.</p>

<p>And with the 1/2" thick material costing ~$22 per square foot, you might as well buy a set of Alien Bee honeycomb grids and adapt their mounting to your reflector. The ABs are only $25 each in sets of 4.</p>

<p>I would think a scale drawing and some basic trig ought to find the beam spread of each thickness/cell size combination.</p>

<p><Chas></p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>i know that if you put to 10 degree grids on top each other you have 5 degrees i believe.<br>

1/2 cell with 1/2 thickness for a 45 degree grid sound about right. smaller cells or more grid thickness = tighter focus. perhaps distance from light too...? i could see distance would make it a lil tighter focus<br>

thanks for the link i saved it.</p>