Disappointed with wedding photos

shaye

I am extremely disappointed with our wedding proofs. We paid $5,000

for 8 hour photo sessions and a 20 page flush album. This is the one

area we didn't cut corners and we did extensive research before

contacting. The photographer seems to be well known in the area.

The photos didn't seem to represent the wedding day no group

pictures, only one pictures with the bridesmaids. I gently mentioned

to the photographer how come we didn't have pictures of the things we

expected to see (like bridesmaids walking down the ailse) the

photographer's response was I don't do those type of pictures. Is it

normal that the photographer can pick what to take and not take? I

don't even have a good picture of my husband and I that I can frame

Are the pictures he took at your wedding like the ones he showed you? That are on your his website? Like the ones you discussed?

If so, then thats it. Thats what you paid for.

If he misrepresented himself then you may have a leg to stand on.

Minh, sorry you are not happy with your pictures. I am new to wedding photography, but can tell you there are differnet styles of wedding photography or different approaches. How much did you see of your photographer's portfolio and did you see at least one or more samples of entire weddings they had one? Just knowing the photographer charges near the higher end and is well known doesn't mean they shoot in a style that fits what you want.

Few of the staged candid shots looks like it could be one of the ones on the photographer's website. However, what I was expecting besides those were more pictures that would capture the entire day. We got barely any of the ceremony, everthing from walking down the ailse to cake cutting was from a far lower angle. Also, I gave him a list of a few things I want him to take like photos with my mom, both families, some extended families - none were taken. I am not sure how to approach it. Can anything be done?

"Few of the staged candid shots looks like it could be one of the ones on the photographer's website."

Did their website have samples that were not candid looking shots? Did they have formal shots which it looks like you were looking for?

I'll defer to the more experienced here, but you keep saying "I was expecting" though not saying what those expectations are based on.

If you had a written contract with the photographer you might find grounds for action if he's acted in breach of it. It sounds, unfortunately, as if the two parties were following different scripts; each thinking that the other knew what was going to happen.

I'm probably not helping much, but if a client comes to me with a list of particular shots they want I always thank them and take them as a matter of urgency. By giving me the list they've also given me an easy way to make doubly sure that they're happy with the final result.

BFN

David

Minh, Most photographer out there only show their best work, not the junkie stuff that they took. And I doubt they going to show your wedding online. Those that charge > $5000, etc, don't even compare to my works and I charge a fraction of that.

ma^'y tha`ng my~ photographer no' rip-off la('m. You could have hire me for a fraction of the cost, get tons of prints, and I offer %100 warranty on all my works. If prints don't look like my sample, I won't charge my customer a dime.

http://www.kelvinphoto.com

Sorry you are disappointed. However, if he took the requisite photos per your interview and the contract and provided the paid for service, then you don't have very far you can go. I certainly would suggest you go to the photographer and express your disappointment in his work.

Sounds to me like you got someone interested in being artistic and not necessarily photo-journalistic or a combination of styles. Not saying artisitic is bad, but it seems like that is what you hired him for and what you got.

I do not know how much you, as the customer, knew and knew what to ask. One of the things I say to brides is to be sure, even if you hire a photojournalist, that you get SOME posed shots (family groups etc.). Also, at the interview, I tell them to be sure they KNOW what they are expecting and express this to the photographer. If his "style" precludes certain things you need to know that ahead of time.

Weddings are pretty much all the same script with different players and different religious aspects. There are certain shots that every wedding photographer knows must be taken, and those form the core of the final product. Whether the photographer is traditional or photojournalistic those core shots happen at nearly every wedding.

Again, I am sorry you are unhappy with the product you purchased. I suggest you go back to the photographer and see if anything can be worked out.

I might also suspect the photography made some bad photographs and did not want to give them to you. Or the photographer lost the images and does not want to admit to the mistake.

Sometimes things happen in spite of the best efforts. You need to ask the photographer directly if you can see "all" the images. Also ask if there were problems and some images did not turn out or were lost. If the person is worth anything they will admit to any difficulties.

Anyone who pays for 8 hours of coverage costing five large deserves excellent work. However, based on what you wrote, you did not do much research on the side of what was to be expected. WHAT DID YOUR CONTRACT say? The contract should cover the expected type and number of shots.

My 20,000 foot opinion is, since you are so unhappy, you wound up with someone who sounds like a rookie (based on your side of the story).

Hi Minh - sorry to hear of your trouble. My clients are consistently delighted with the work that I do. A recent client told me that her only problems after the wedding is choosing what images should go into the album - they were all worthy (her words, not mine!).

I would contact the photographer and ask about the list of shots. When a client gives me a list, I work as hard as possible to do everything on the list, OR tell them if it is too much (ie. 150 combinations of family members is ridiculous - 10-15 is appropriate). I think that if your photographer communicated that he or she would provide those, then they should give you a good reason why they didn't follow through.

What does your contract say about this? My contracts says that I will provide formal coverage according to a list that a client submits. My contract also says that due to uncontrolled circumstance, I do not guarantee the delivery of any particular shots. This is

Was the wedding crazy and chaotic? Did the photographer have too many guests to photograph? It seems strange that the photographer didn't get one good picture of you and your husband to frame - that's bread and butter wedding photography!

What did the photographer show you in your meetings?

Go meet with your photographer. Pull out the proof prints and tell them which ones you are disappointed by and why. Tell them that you dont' see one good picture of your husband and you, and see what they say. I don't want to make assumptions about what happened - maybe there is a good reason. I do know that if a client EVER said to me that they didn't have one good picture of them with their newlywed spouse, my knees would be shaking - it would be time to close up shop!

If the photographer is unresponsive, and you believe that you had a clear agreement that the photographer would be providing coverage that was substantially different from what you received (ie. that you would get at least one good picture), and that any reasonable person would believe that the photographer did not deliver on their promise, you might want to consider asking your photographer for a portrait session, gratis. Your photographer should know that a client who pays $8,000 and is not happy with it should be made happy, otherwise that client is going to spread the word around and do negative advertising that offsets the $8,000 they received.

If they still aren't responsive to that, you might want to talk to other photographers in town and see what they say. If they have an opportunity to see the images and also believe that your photographer did not deliver.

Yes, I recognize that the quality of photography is subjective, but I think that we can all agree that if the photographer did not provide at least one (literally, one) good picture of husband and wife, then they didn't do their job and aren't worth the money.

I hate to hear stories like this. When so many photographers complain that rookies charge a fraction of the cost for doing a wedding and under-deliver, it's even worse to hear about one charging a higher fee and doing just as poorly. It makes it hard for everyone else.

I couldn't begin to assess what happened in your case but I would certainly discuss this with the photographer in question to see what their reason is for not giving you what you expected.

We are quick to blame you, the customer, for not doing enough research but really it is your photographer's job to educate you on what to expect and how it will be delivered. It is an important service.

To answer one of your questions, yes it is the photographer's normal approach to pick the moments to shoot but an experienced photographer knows what those are and also knows there are some pictures that YOU are going to specifically ask for and that they need to shoot to complete the package.

If those shots were not taken, it is unfortunate. If they were taken but something went wrong with them, your photographer needs to own up to this and inform you. Either way, go and discuss it with them because they do owe you a proper response.

Lou

Regardless of what happened and who said what to whom up to this point, the only thing you can do now is to try to negotiate with the photographer. Express disappointment with your images in writing, specifically list what you found missing or lacking. Then ask for what you would feel would help to make up for the lack. Be as specific as possible in all communications. For instance, you might ask to re-do some formals and photos of the two of you, if you are willing to get dressed up again, and if you are willing to round up some of your family. Or, ask for a session for the two of you and then ask if he would photograph a family portrait at your next get-together, in the traditional style.

Do not get emotional or make statements that can't be backed up. Statements like "Most wedding photographers do this..." won't get you anywhere. Only express your disappointment in very specific terms and what it will take to satisfy you.

Avoid asking for money back or asking for the impossible, like fixing every single image to your satisfaction, etc. That is unreasonable and will surely stall any negotiations. You need to step back, look at the overall picture and figure out what reasonable steps can be taken to end up with a product that is closer to the one you envisioned.

Dear Minh,

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment. 20/20 hidesight is always perfect, but for future reference tell all of your friends getting married to request a list of photographs the photgrapher will be taking and get an agreement that the bride/groom will supply the photographer with a list of photographs that are important to them.

Minh,....sorry for your trouble. When you say your wedding proofs....are these the proofs

and not the finished product? It's hard to tell with out seeing some of the shots. The

picture of you and your husband....is it that you don't have one or you don't like the one(s)

you have? Did you meet with him before....to see his style and some of his work?

As for a list....i never work with a list. I do most of the traditional shots...but if the bride

insists on working from a list....i tell her in a nice way that I'm probably not for her and

recommend someone else for her.

I tell my brides that weddings are too dynamic and move to fast. They may want a photo

with uncle Harry....and unless they introduce me to him...well. I tell them if you want a

special shot....no problem....just get uncle Harry and say "Dave get a shot of us"....A Photo

list is a responsibility placed upon you....that is often used against you, i'm sorry to say.

I hope things work out for you.

Dave

...aside for a "list" that the bride-to-be may provide, anyone looking for a wedding photographer needs to look through preview books of photographs from three to six weddings. Then decide if that photographer is who you want for your wedding. Just looking at a web-site is not really going to be a means to what is and what is not a key factor in getting "great" photographs to hold in your hands after the wedding.

Minh,

I understand what you are saying.

I have been photogrphing weddings for over 20 years, but my last wedding is coming up on July 8th.

Why am I quitting? I think there is just too much fraud in this business. What you described is exactly what I mean by that term.

$5,000 for what you got is fraud! It is a rip-off.

I work my butt off for $1,500 and I photograph everything, even guest requests.

I'm sick of this business.

I wish I had a suggestion for you but I don't.

I'm another person that is upset to hear that you didn't get the results that you wanted.

While it is up to you to choose a photographer that you like, it is also the photographer's responsibilty (within reason) to make sure that he gets the shots that you want, and if he can't do what you want it's his job to tell you.

Whether you failed to notice that his style and portfolios didn't include the more traditional posed group shots or not, I think that its very unprofessional of him to have not discussed in some detail the type of photos you could expect to get from him. If he didn't do posed group shots then he should have made that clear. It only makes it more depressing because you've gone to some expense and hired a well known professional that has failed to consider that you might want some basic "traditional" shots.

Even a highly paid professional should talk with the customers and discuss the types of photos that will be taken and ask if there are any requirements for must-have poses and shots that a couple wants. He needs your input to write his script for the day, he can't just go out there and write his own story in another language and expect you to be 100% happy with it - unless of course, he's made it very clear that's what he is going to do.

<p>Minh, I really feel sorry for you in that regard.

<p>Slightly off topic here - but I'm not sure about the rest of you but I do really feel sick and tired of all the newbies coming into discussion forums a week (or day) before the wedding asking for advice. Sure, there are lots of couples out there who can't really afford the pros and ask their uncle bob to help out - by all means... (I'm not concered about those uncle bobs helping out)...But I'm concerned with those who bought a DSLR and claim to be a photographer to go and second shoot a wedding. As wedding photographers, how many times have you had the killer shot only to be ruin by your second shooter standing in the opposite end shooting.

<p>As far as I'm concern, the second shooter should be an experienced photographer, with some experience in sitting on the side line watching what happens in a wedding before lifting up a camera at a wedding. Second shooters shouldn't be there to learn photography. They should be there to learn WEDDING photography.

<p>Everytime someone ask about which lens/flash/shutter speed/aperture etc to use in a wedding means they shouldn't be in a wedding with a camera. They should learn enough about their style and their equipment before going to their first wedding and WATCH only. After going to a few, then perhaps they are qualified to help the primary shooter carry equipment.

<p>I came across this

<a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1014&thread=18472231">discussion</a> on dpreview. The profession/industry is going to be destroyed by the few bad apples...

To go back to the main question, and expand on what a few others have said - what can you do?

Well, you obviously can't do the wedding over. I think the only real thing you can do is talk to the photographer about buying ALL the proofs - every shot he took ,and hopefully, if it's digitial, its in RAW format.

From there, take those files, and find someone else, perhaps on here, and hire them to take those photos and fix them and make them right.

It might not be the best of what you're hoping for, but sometimes, you can take a random picture with several people, crop it, clean it up, and you have at least a decent picture of "bride and father", for example.

Maybe, for some extra money, you can salvage something out of what might have been discarded.

If you're lucky, and the photographer is a decent person, you'll get the files for free, or discount the main cost, or something....

good luck...

<i>"Everytime someone ask about which lens/flash/shutter speed/aperture etc to use in a wedding means they shouldn't be in a wedding with a camera."</i>

<p>

I agree 1000%. If I were running or moderating this forum those posts would never see the light of day. Never.

<p>

And, back to Todd's reply, I also completely agree with him and I think nearly all the fault lies with the pro who charged 5 large for this job. According to what Minh originally wrote it sounds like she was scammed.