digital studio equipment questions

<p>hi there, i'm setting up a new digital studio at the high school i teach at and before i place the final equipment order wanted to see what consensus might be on some printer, scanner + digital camera models...for printers: epson 3880 printer... scanner: epson 10000XL. (i also teaching wet darkroom simultaneously so need the scanner to be able to scan film, hence picking the 10000)...digital cameras: canon G12s. wanted to see what people might think of these if you've used any of them........or if you know of more "current" models than these that might be better for HS students, etc. THANKS FOR ANY HELP! </p>

<p>I agree with the above point. I also lecturer in photography and could recommend using Nikon D3100 as a good start. We have tried using Cannon 400D but the cards often corrupt and not as reliable as the Nikon. Why not approach Nikon and explain your situation. You may have done this already. Keep it simple to begin with as learners can sometimes be daunted by larger cameras.<br>

Hope it goes well.</p>

<p>I agree with the above point. I also lecturer in photography and could recommend using Nikon D3100 as a good start. We have tried using Cannon 400D but the cards often corrupt and not as reliable as the Nikon. Why not approach Nikon and explain your situation. You may have done this already. Keep it simple to begin with as learners can sometimes be daunted by larger cameras.<br>

Hope it goes well.</p>

Hope it goes well.</p>

Hope it goes well.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I agree with the above point.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Apparently, very vehemently.</p>

<p>That aside, I'd also throw in with a recommendation for DSLRs. They have wider manual control ranges, wider ISO ranges, and wider DOF ranges. It's hard to teach someone about isolating a subject from a distracting background on a P&S, even as nice a P&S as the G12. The DSLR also makes teaching things like macro a lot easier. 3100 is a tolerable axe.</p>

<p>3880 is a great little printer. It should take the students a while to break it. ;) And it makes a tolerable "digital negative" if you want to cross over into the darkroom for some hybrid contact printing.</p>