Digital Rebel and sports photography

electrofoto

I have a Canon Digital Rebel and am interested in taking sports

action pictures from a range of 100 to 200 meters in varying light

conditions. I have a 2x extender but my Tamron and Canon EF lenses

do not fit the extender.

What lenses are available to use with a 2X extender and at around

$1000?

Do Sigma and Tamron lenses fit the Canon extender?

I would think that if the extender is made for Canon ef mounts, then the lenses should fit. I have 2 tamron converters, 2x and 1.4x. They both work with all my lenses. (I also have Canon gear). What kind of Converter do you have? I assume that the converter fits on your camera body.

It's worth checking the manufacturer's (or a quality vendor's) web information on extenders when it comes to fit. Although I think it tends to be the high end extenders, there are some which do have fit restrictions or don't necessarily permit full functionality with all lenses. Also from an image "quality" standpoint, it seems that a manufacturer's own converters and lenses may work together better - Sigma with Sigma, etc. Although I would think you could use the 70-200/80-200 2.8 lenses, with their own brand converters fairly effectively, trying for 200 meters is going to maybe push your budget limits. I'd look at the Tokina and Sigma lenses first as they are in that price range, even with the extenders, (the high-end Kenkos with the Tokina).

• 2 weeks later...

If it's a Canon extender, it'll only fit Canon quality telephoto lenses ie L series or DO.

A cheaper Tamron or Kenko extender will fit all lenses. This however like all things isn't that simple. For your money you could buy the 70-200 2.8L second hand or possibly the IS version.

Or you could buy a Sigma 80-400 or 50-500, but they'll not work with your extender, may work with a cheaper extender but you'd probably lose autofocus.