Digital Photo Frames

Anyone have an experience with any of the latest model Digital Photo Frames?

I'm looking for one with a picture display area of 5"x7" or bigger. Since I

intend to display both landscape and portrait mode pics without rotating the

frame, I'd like to go with a bigger size.

Do these frames automatically re-size your pics? Any other quirks I should

look out for?

The models I've quickly researched so far seem to display pics at 640x480

pixel resolution, and a contrast ratio of 250:1 or 300:1 (not that impressive,

IMO), and seem capable of playing MP3 as well as video (I like that). Some of

them also seem to be made by manufacturers I'm not quite familiar with - Ziga,

Axion, TAO,...???. If any manufacturer announced something new for PMA, I'm

not aware, or know where to look.

Any input greatly appreciated. I'm in no hurry, but it'd be nice to find a

good one by the end of March.

I'm curious as well about that 10.4" frame as well. Looks OK for $204 at Amazon.

I tried one from Costco by Panadigital (a small company in Walnut Creek), but had to return it

cuz it had problems starting up and showing some pix, and was way to difficult to use. And it

didn't do MPEG clips reliably. Looked good on paper though.

Buy it and let us know how it works out!

www.citysnaps.net

<a href="http://www.dsicentral.com/"><b>Digital Spectrum</b></a> is announcing a series of 800x600 resolution 10.4" frames to be made available in March.<p>

I did a search on Amazon for reviews on their similar products that have been already out for some time and I am getting cold feet. Let's hope they get it right this time. <p>

This is a new area for me, and I am disappointed that trusted names such as Sony, Canon, Panasonic, et al aren't all over this market (though Philips is, with a 9" model, and a woeful battery life of 50 min vs. 8 hrs for some other manufacturers - makes you wonder how immature this sector must be). The reviews of such frames on Amazon speaking of grandmas glowing at the sight of these frames tell you that there's a huge market opportunity waiting to be tapped here. I am looking to gift this item in early April, so if I'm unhappy with what I see by then, I'll just pick something else. This seems to be an industry that is just about getting serious.

Don't believe all the reviews on Amazon. I received the Westinghouse DPF-0801 for Christmas. I always thought these things were kind of dumb, but my kids got me one and I love it I've since bought one for my parents and they seem to like theirs too. It has terrible reviews, but just by reading the reviews and having a bit of experience in trouble shooting, I can tell that most of these peoples' problems are clearly operator error.

To answer your specific question, at least in the case of the model I have, it automatically resizes the photo to fit the frame such that the aspect ratio stays as you set it...so if your photo is 5x6 and the frame is 5x7, there will be 1/2 inch of black space top and bottom on the lcd...the lcd "black" blends with the black frame so it is not always real noticable. good luck - jeffl

Thanks for the input, Jeff. I fully understand that some of the reviewers on Amazon are not technically savvy folks and could end up trashing a product erroneously for operator error. These things are supposed to be easy to use.

• 2 weeks later...
I think you shouldn't be unduly worried about brands when it comes to a <a href="http://www.e-bowl.co.uk/category/222"> digital picture frame </a> they are all made in the same factories in the far east and just rebadged. Just look for the price,spec and warranty information. Most come with 12 months warranty in the UK, so you are covered in any case

• 1 year later...