Did I make a good choice?

loomix

<p>I just ordered a Nikon D3100 14.2MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens (basically because it fit my budget - $523.00 / 24 months no interest. <br>

also got a Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Nikkor lens for $91.00 - Both at A----n.com / <br /><br>

I spent $615.00 altogether to pay in 24 months no interest.<br>

I'm not sure if I made a wise purchase considering that Black Friday is soon approaching. Any feedback?<br /><br>

(I would've preferred a Nikon D5100 or a Canon T3i, but I also am a musician and I have to split my spending within these two interests, music is still my strongest point. I've been doing photography all my life, but nothing too serious after my 20's - now at 55 my interest in true art photography is coming back.)<br>

Thanks!</p>

Black Friday is highly unreliable as a way of shopping for a particular item, and you got a fine kit there at a very

reasonable price. Why was the tele lens so cheap? Was there a discount on buying a lens with a camera,mor was it

used? (If it was used, test it out first thing you do, if it has issues Amazon should let you return it.)

<p>Thanks for your response Andy! I think you make a good point about Black Friday (it's a hit or miss thing) I also found I never had problems returning items to Amazon.<br>

The lens I paid 91.00 for had a $100.00 discount if purchased together with this camera.<br>

Both the camera and the lens are brand new. I am planning on buying a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens later on, I am interested in doing low light photo, portraits and landscapes among other themes.</p>

<h1 > </h1>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I am planning on buying a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens later on..."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Although there is nothing wrong with that choice, be aware that this lens is <strong>manual focus only</strong> on the D3100. If you are okay with that, then full steam ahead. But if you want autofocus with the D3100 and a 50mm lens, you will need the new <a href="http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/singlefocal/normal/af-s_50mmf_18g/index.htm">AF-S 50mm f/1.8G</a>, which costs approximately $100 more than the <a href="http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/singlefocal/normal/af_50mmf_18d/index.htm">AF 50mm f/1.8D</a>.</p>

<p>Enjoy your new kit. :-)</p>

Yeah, you got a good deal on that. It's a good kit for everyday use, very usable and light weight and you can get

fantastic images if you're reasonably careful. One recommendation - the 50/1.8D lens is the old model, and it doesn't

support AF on a D3100. The 50/1.8G AFS lens is new this year, the optics are much better (the sharpness, contrast

and bokeh at large apertures are much better, which is important for portraits) and it does AF on a D3100. It's more

expensive but it's worth it. Oh, also, a lot of people put UV filters on all their lenses and match inexpensive lenses with

inexpensive filters. Very bad idea - that one piece of cheap glass can ruin the whole lens. If you do filters, buy B+W

multicoated from Amazon or Calumet store brand multicoated (which are B+W).

<p>Please keep in mind that Nikon's Thailand factory is flooded and production has stopped since October 6. There is where all current DX DSLRs are manufactured: <a href="00ZSC7">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00ZSC7</a></p>

<p>Apparently the flooding has not reached its peak yet. Therefore, nobody knows how DX DSLR supply will be like in the next few months. If you already have a D3100 in hand, I would hold onto it.</p>

<p>Michael, this is the right link to the Nikon 50mm/f1.8 G AF-S lens: <a href="../equipment/nikon/lenses/50mm-f1.8-af-s-fx/review/">http://www.photo.net/equipment/nikon/lenses/50mm-f1.8-af-s-fx/review/</a><br>

:-)</p>

<p>You guys truly gave me some very helpful advice. I am fairly new to digital photography (about 7 years).<br /> I was shooting with a Panasonic Lumix DMZ-7 and this is my first step into Digital SLR.<br /> I am very excited about this and want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction.<br /> From the feedback received it seems I made a good purchase, now let's hope I take the best advantage of my tools and come up with some good photos.<br /> Michael, I really appreciate the advise on lenses, I think it will take some time and trial and error before I really know the lenses I will need.<br /> Andy, about the UV filters...I got a Tiffen because it was included for free, but from what I already read in customer reviews and from your comment, I think I'll just use it as a unique pendant ')<br /> Peter, thanks for your comment. It's true, I've taken pics of my guitars, but they just don't look so hot using my 6mp Lumix DMZ-7.<br /> Shun, if this thing about the flooding in Thailand doesn't cease, I do believe I'd better hang on to this Nikon, at least until I can afford something better.<br /> Thanks to all! I'll let you know how it goes once I receive it next week.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Federico, I am sure that once the flood recedes, they can clean up the factory and repair the machinary. Production can probably resume within a few weeks. However, I would expect shortage on Nikon DX-forumat DSLRs and some of the lenses made by Nikon Thailand in the next few months. If the D3100 is not what you want, by all means return it, but I wouldn't count on further discounts by the US "black Friday," which is just a little more than a month away.</p>

<p>I personally throw away UV filters as I've had problems with flare from them. Really, a UV doesn't do anything. A polarizer is useful though. As for the camera gear, it's capable and will probably do what you want. I agree that at the moment the future supply of NIkon stuff is uncertain and you have a "bird in the hand." While I have a lot of expensive Nikon stuff, I also have the Nikon D80 and the same two lenses you just got. I use them as back ups on trips, and for when I want to take lighter equipment. Really, they work just fine. I'm betting you'll be happy.</p>

<p>Kent in SD </p>

<p>Thank you all for taking the time to share your knowledge.<br>

YES! Arnulfo, Music, Photography and all Arts require Passion, as well as dedication and talent.<br>

I received all positive feedback and feel very good about what an excellent community we have here at Photo.net - this is the first time I ask a question in the forums and the response has been overwhelming.</p>

<p>Hey Aaron, that's exactly what I'm going to do! ')<br>

I just received my camera in the mail Wednesday. Been taking shots around the house, and so far I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning!<br />The only thing I found so far, is very little difference with the VR on or off, but then maybe it's due to low light conditions. I like the feel and weight of the camera. I also like that it's not so big, I don't like to atract too much attention in public.<br />I've been looking for OEM batteries for this model ($40.00 is the Nikon price)<br />But so far all reviews of non Nikon batteries are bad, claiming they're duds.<br />I will be doing some field photos tomorrow and will post some to share.<br />I will keep updating as I go along. It would be nice if it had auto-bracketting, even my old Lumix DMC-Z7 has this option. Still and all, for starters, this camera has been a good choice so far. (especially at the bargain price $523.00)<br />Anyone else has experiences with the D3100?</p>