Denali Photography Permit

cynthia_bauer1

I just learned that I will be able to go into Denali with a friend

who has a professional photographers permit for late August. Looking

for suggestions from other people that have been issued the permit h

where the best place is to camp, photograph and any helpful advice

in preparation for this trip. Thank you in advance.

Lucky you. I got my dates for early Aug. Wanna trade?

Be prepared for all types of weather including snow, Termination dust usually appears in

Aug. If your friend got the permit he/she will know were to camp. Mostly at Teklanika, 26

miles in. From there you will problably head further in. You can also use a photographers

pull out at mile 77 to get the early image of Denali/wonder lake. Mile 86. I may not be

accurate on mile marks as I am using my burned out memory.

Watch for wolves at Teklanika and Igloo. Bears at Sable pass. Naturally, all animals can be

anywhere but a good chance for moose is between Tek and Igloo on right side, I think left

side is closed for wolf protection, but it has been a couple of years since I was there and

closures change frequently.

Main thing is to be prepared for a trip of a lifetime shooting long hours, late Aug. is good

for Norther Lights as well.

It is important that you obey the photogs ethics issued by the park, Your friend has to

sign a copy to prove that it has been read and promises to obey. I suggest that if there

are too many photogs trying to photograph a subject, move on. There are plenty of opps.

Unless of course it is one of those situations that require your immediate attention, like a

bear wrestling a cariboo.

Have fun!

Jim

Thanks Jim,

My friend has never been to Denali, but says we will probably be camping at Tek. Could you tell me the location of the photographs I see so often of the reflection of the mountain in the lake, or pond. Are these taken at Wonder Lake? Or is it another location photographers hike to? That is if the mountain is in sight of course. Termination dust? Haven't heard of that term before?

Thanks again.

I spent a week at Wonder Lake campground last July. I discover the lakes were 2 & 3 miles from the campground. This is good for you though. The park road goes right by Reflection Pond & Wonder Lake. This photo comes from Reflection Pond, just off the roadside. And it's not much larger than a good sized farm pond.

Nice shot of Denali. I doubt there will be green in Aug. Curt is right, Reflection Pond is

right by the road. go past reflection and there is another pond on right. Hike up knoll on

left for another good view. (see image) Aug is usually a good time for seeing the

mountain but you can't camp at Wonder Lake with your own vehicle, so Tek is the best

place. You have probably seen pics with moose or cariboo and the mountain and lake. It

just takes time and patience. I don't remember how Aug is for Mosquitos but I was iin full

netting when I took this image at 12:30 am.

Jim

In the past (mid-1984 to late 1987) I was stationed at Eielson Air Force Base south of Fairbanks. The mosquitos thereabouts were happy and active until the temperatures went to +24 degrees F or lower: some managed to hide in tree bark and house screens (?) to survive a cold snap. Moose like to browse underwater to avoid the little critters....

You may seek a good brand of bug repellant and a net system for your body in the event the bugs are happy and active during your visit.

Jim & Curt great pictures, thank you for sharing them. Jim, we have read the photog ethics and have no problem staying the required and/or safe distance from wildlife. For us, no photograph is worth endangering our lives or that of any animal. The longest lens I have is a 400 with 1.4TC, or should I consider renting something longer? I like shots of wildlife showing the environment, that being said this is a trip I want to be prepared for. Gerald thanks for mentioning the mosquito netting, and bug repellant, I have put those on my list. We are thinking of renting a truck and overhead camper if we can find a good rental agency in Anchorage, or possibly driving up in our own personal van. Any recommendations for areas hiking into the backcountry of Denali?

Keep the suggestions coming!

Cynthia

400mm and 1.4x is fine, naturally a 2000mm 2.8 would be better. Just kidding. Putting

wildlife in the scene instead of close-up tells a better story and is usually a better seller.

Good sturdy tripod, umbrella or rain cover for camera and a poncho for you. Carry a pair

of long johns, good hking boots, waterproof or resistent, shell pants as hiking through the

willows can get you soaked if it is moist out.

There are no established trails in Denali so if something looks interesting just start hiking.

One word of caution, hike slowly and always look around you as you hike. It is generaly

pretty safe to hike in Denali but you don't want to be surprised! Try Primrose or Igloo Mtn.

for Dall's sheep. Approach very slowly and never from above or directly. If you sit and

wait you will always be surprised.

Renting a camper is a good plan but remember, the road in Denali is a dirt road and

narrow in spots with little room to pull over so the smaller the vehicle the better, though I

have seen large RV's (cab over campers plus). I have a full size van. If you have the time,

drive to Prince Rupert and take the ferry to Haines, then drive to Denali. That way you get

to see the inside passage and other opps along the way, then return via the AlCan Hwy

and stop at Liard Hot Springs. From Northern California I allow 6-7 days one way so it

adds about 2 weeks to your trip.

Jim

www.stamates.com

Here is something that almost is of topic to your overall question - One less sight for you to photograph:

The leader of one of the wolf packs most often photographed in the park was trapped and killed this week. Here is the story from today's (Sat. Feb. 28) Fairbanks Daily News-Miner:

http://www.news-miner.com/Stories/0,1413,113~7244~1985992,00.html

Audie Bakewell

Denali Highway Cabins

Paxson, Alaska

www.denalihwy.com

Being that I am not familiar with this permit situation I have a question about Denali and permits.

In the Not-to-Distant future I would also like to photograph in Denali. But I'm a little surprised one has to 'get a permit' first. Is that only for professional photographers trying to sell their images? I'm a serious amature, I shoot medium format and shoot with longer lenses and plenty of other equipment; does that somehow single out me from a rank amature that pops up with their pocket camera?

Just wondering.

Thanks Audie for the newspaper story, and will watch for updates. I will keep your cabins in mind as we have not fully planned out our trip yet. Douglas, for information on the Denali Professional Photography Permits go to the Natl. Park Service website, www.nps.gov, then to Denali and look for the link to Photography/Filming this will give you all the specifics. In my research I have seen many outstanding photographs taken from the shuttle busses into the park, so it not necessary to have this permit to take photographs in Denali.

Jim, I assumed there were very few trails in Denali. Think I will take my can of bear spray if it is allowed. We are experienced day hikers in bear country, always making lots of noise, getting off the trails before dark, know what the experts say to do if we have a bear (grizzly or black bear encounter and how they differ) basically using good common sense and have never had a problem. Know bear spray is a last resort and one should not count on it to be effective. Being in a high risk area I always carry the spray. Yep wish I had the 600mm lens, but not possible on my budget, may consider renting the 500mm if I can find one (Canon) reasonably priced.

I take bear spray, but I don't always carry it in Denali. If you drive you will be asked at the

Canadian border if you have pepper spray. I lie, and am always nervous doing so, even

though the spray is well hidden in my van. Just have a hard time not telling the truth.

I don't think you will have that much more advantage with the 500mm unless your 400mm

is slow.

Audie, I have been keeping up with the wolf challenges in Alaska, and now bears.

www.alaskawolfkill.com might be interest to some on this post. Not to get too political

but Alaska deserves a better governor and the rest of us need a better president.

I don't know where you stand but if Alaskans want to live without wolves and bears,

California might do, or any of 48 other states.

Jim

About lenses. I carried a 300f4 & 500f4 Nikkors. Also 24,50, 105 micro,& 80-200 f2.8 Nikkors. I felt well equipped with this combo & was often able to shoot Velvia 50. Sensia 100 & 400 were also necessary at times. I was mostly fortunate with the weather. Of three visits to Denali NP the weather has always cooperated. Meaning there was sun between the rain. I do not have the coveted pro-photographer's permit & so I ride the buses, get off & walk, than pick-up a bus when I have had enough walking. It has worked well for me. If wildlife is sighted from the bus, than I am NOT allowed off, but must ride 1/4 mile down the road to get off. Here is a Dall Sheep photographed on Marmot Rock near Polychrome. From the road with 500mm.

Lots of good advice so far. I always camp at Tek, unless the mountain is out, then I will try to stay at �the pit�. The number of nights you can stay at the pit is limited, so I try to use them carefully. I use a 4x4 pickup with a small camper, I think that is a good route. Take extra gas, otherwise you will have to keep returning to the front of the Park. I have never found bugs to be a problem in August, or even towards then end of July.

This year it sounds like I may have the same dates as Jim, maybe I will meet you there.

The comments on bear spray and the Canadian Border were interesting. I have rarely been asked, but when I have they have always let me keep it. Maybe I was lucky.

Thanks Ron,

I was hoping to hear from a photographer who has done this. Curious about how many extra gas cans you take, that's an excellent suggestion. Think we will be coming with a truck and small camper. We can only use the pit for 2 nights, and assume these must be reserved before we drive into Tek, I would also like to utilize this if the mtn. is out, or is the pit on a first come basis?

Thank you,

Cynthia

You are supposed to reserve the pit in advance, but they are pretty flexible; I usually say something to the ranger out patrolling the road if I think I�m going to stay there. Most photographers only use it to grab a few hours of sleep during the darkest part of the night. I have never drawn September dates, but the pit is much more popular then because of the moose rut.

I try to bring 3 or 4 five gallon containers of gas and leave them at Tek. Some bring more. Three or four containers is enough gas to allow me to drive around for about three days if I�m careful, by then I�m usually ready for a shower anyway so I don�t mind making a gas run. In the past you could lock your fuel cans to your picnic table, last year you had to put them in the bear locker.

Thank you to everyone for your generous advice. I promise this is my last question! Any recommendations on good, dependable places to rent the 4x4 pickup with small camper, preferably Fairbanks, but Anchorage would work. Must be able to take on gravel roads.

Cynthia