Delmarva Peninsula Photo Ops

james_alexander

James,

Visit Saint Micheals and Oxford. Saint Micheals has a great maritime museum.

I did a bicycle tour of the Eastern Shore some years ago and found much to photograph.

We read Chesapeake by Michner and then did a pilgrimage to sites mentioned in the book. Really a cool place to visit and shoot.

Have fun and have some crab cakes for me.

JD

Just over the bridge tunnel on your right is the Eastern Shore Wildlife Refuge. It's been a few years since I've been there, but it used to be free... Good place for shore birds and ducks & geese...

There are some good Natuical locations if you like little fishing villages and the like. Oyster, VA, & Onancock, VA come to mind...

--Paul

As I suggested for another Bay area visitor, the Chesapeake Bay Gateways website (www.baygateways.net) lists a number of good refuges, parks and museums (one of which being the Chesapeake Maritime Museum in St. Michaels) along the Eastern Shore.

One Gateways site you may want to visit is Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge near Cambridge, MD. You'll find a number of bald eagles and osprey flying around, as well as other wildlife.

I'm the web admin for this website (and network), so if you have any questions, send me comments via the website.

Have fun.. it's a great place to wander..

I'm not sure where Harrington, DE is in relation to the Delaware Bay, but if you want to pass up Chincoteague (which seemed lacking in ponies when I was there last weekend, Assateague was better)(but Chincoteague was better for birds)... in Delaware, check out Bombay Hook and Prime Hook, even the tip of the bay, Cape Henlopen and Lewes.

The tall dunes and a WWII sighting tower on sea-side trail at Cape Henlopen DE offer a panorama of ocean, breakwater and lighthouse if you pass by with time for a hike close to dawn or dusk. This would be a place to add in, not a substitute for Assateague or Blackwater.

The Lewes-Cape May ferry will get you closer to the urban rookery at Stone Harbor NJ if your Harrington visit allows for another add-on side trip.