<p>I've been mulling over which budget ips monitor to buy, I just can't afford a top notch monitor, though I'd tied down to a couple, but started to get some inclination that the supplier (Dell) was shifting it's ground, when I a 'new' monitor popped up on their website ie, the Dell UltraSharp U2412M. Has anybody seen a review on this monitor yet? do you have one? Any feedback would be appreciated.</p>

<p>There is one review attached to the U2412M on the Dell website. It would seem from the comment in the review and looking at the Dell specs page, the U2412M only covers sRGB gamut. If you are doing web work this limitation would not be a problem. If you're prepping files for fine art printing it might not be the monitor you're looking for.</p>

I've been mulling around doing some research on this as well. There's definitely more IPS type displays available to choose from now than several years ago, but I'ld advise based on what I''ve been coming across online lately you start checking for aspect ratio (i.e. 16x9 vs 16x10) combined with native resolution conflicts with video drivers and display drivers if on a Windows system. I'm even coming across discussions of third party displays connected to Macs that are exhibiting strange moire textures, stairstepped edges on fonts or vertical banding artifacts in flat colors if the video card only supports one type of aspect ratio and doesn't tune up (phasing) with the way Macs draw screen elements.

<p>

Look for OSD settings that allow 4:5 ratio and/or some type of fill screen or black bar adjust so images don't look widened or squashed. The one's I'm thinking about are HP's, Dell's and Viewsonic's of different models where one model has features and/or drivers that fix these issue while a cheaper model may not and/or require a different video card. The same display will look fine on someone's Mac or PC where it doesn't on another and the only difference is the video card. Some are forced to send the display back and/or wait for display/video driver updates.

<p>

Don't get me wrong. It's not as prevelent as I've made it out to be. It's just that since this issue is often rare, the fact that it's popping up online is enough to be of some concern during the purchase. IOW just keep a look out for it.