Dektol Developer

<p>I'm going to be teaching a photography course. The darkroom had a bunch of developer in it already. General purpose Dektol, D-79, and D-19. I have been trying to look up information about mixing a WORKING SOLUTION for Dektol in order to develop film AND paper. I can't find anything. I always come across D-79 or D-19, but nothing for just "general purpose" Dektol. Any thoughts? </p>

<p>Kodak Dektol otherwise known as D-72, generally supplied as a power is mixed with water to make a "stock" solution. This is a concentrate that must be further diluted to working strength. To make a working solution, mix 1 part stock solution with 2 parts water. Develop papers for 90 seconds at 20⁰C (68⁰F).</p>

<p>Kodak D-79 otherwise known as Pyro Developer, is a film developer 9 to 12 minutes at 18⁰C (65⁰F). This developer will oxidize and turn dark rapidly therefore it is best if you use it within 1 hour of mixing.</p>

<p>Kodak D-19 is known as a brilliant higher than normal contrast film developer. Time in developer is 6 minutes at 20⁰C (68⁰F) in a tank and 5 minutes in a tray with continuous agitation. It is used undiluted. </p>

<p>Thank you Alan. I typed some into in wrong. We have D-19, D-76 (not79) and Dektol or D-72 as you explained-thanks!<br>

I have seen info about making a working solution of 1:2 for D-72, but this information is all for developing paper. What I'm looking for is information about developing the actual film. Is D-72 not so great for developing film? I'm asking because I didn't order developer as we had a lot and the budget was tight. I thought I could use it for developing both paper and film-again, can't find info on film use.</p>

<p>Dektol is not a film developer. It is the classic standard Kodak paper developer that almost every photography student has learned on for decades. Dilute the stock solution 1:2, but stick to using it for paper unless you want to confuse your students with something that is not standard practice.<br /><br />D-76, likewise, is the classic standard Kodak film developer that almost every photography student has learned on for decades. The stock solution can be used straight or diluted 1:1. (The time-temperature charts will show numbers for both.) Personally I prefer to use it straight.<br /><br />D-19 is a specialty developer and something I have never had any occasion to use in 40 years of darkroom work. Not something I would suggest that photography students use.<br /><br />It is very likely you will get dozens of replies to this message with everybody suggesting their favorite developers. But D-76 for film and Dektol for paper are the two classics and all that a beginning photography student needs. They need to master these before they move on to anything else, in the sense of learn to walk before you learn to run, or learn to drive in a Ford not a Ferrari. :)</p>

<p>Kodak D-72 (Dektol):<br>

To make a stock solution from scratch:<br>

500 ml water at 50⁰C (122⁰F)<br>

Metol 3.0g<br>

Sodium Sulfide (anhydrous) 45g add a smidgen first<br>

Hydroquinone 12g<br>

Sodium Carbonate (monohydrated) 80g<br>

Potassium Bromide 2g<br>

Add cool water to make 1 liter</p>

<p>Note formula GAF-125 Universal paper and film developer<br>

To make a stock solution from scratch:<br>

750 ml water at 52⁰C (125⁰F)<br>

Metol 3.0g<br>

Sodium Sulfide (anhydrous) 44g add a smidgen first<br>

Hydroquinone 12g<br>

Sodium Carbonate (monohydrated) 65g<br>

Potassium Bromide 2g<br>

Add cool water to make 1 liter</p>

<p>These are so similar; likely no one can see any difference in results.<br>

For Film dilute 1:1 with water and develop 3 -5 minutes at 20⁰C (68⁰F)<br>

For softer less contrast dilute 1:3 develop 3-5 minutes 20⁰C (68⁰F)<br>

Likely the down side will be, the image will show a more defined grain structure. However for a low budget school, it will be OK I guarantee or your money back.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The darkroom was made for the astronomy department</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is most likely where the D-19 was used. It is/was often used, in various dilutions, in B&W astrophotography and other technical photography like photomicroscopy, for contrast enhancement. Not often used for general photography subjects except for special effect of higher contrast. D-76 either straight or diluted 1:1 makes a fine general purpose film developer for student use. As mentioned above, Dektol is for paper development however, due to it's ultra high contrast when used with film, I have processed litho film with it with good results but that was a very specialized application.</p>

<p>A small safety issue. The Metol component of Dektol (an "MQ - or metol/hydroquinone developer) is a poison, and can also be responsible for allergic reactions. If you intend to mix developer from scratch, then you can substitute Phenidone for the Metol and have a less toxic mix. The proportions are available in Steve Anchell's book "The Darkroom Cookbook." At the very least your students should wear gloves and use tongs so as not to contact the developer or the other chemicals. Ilford makes a "PQ" developer that uses phenidone/hydroquinone as the developing agents. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>First of all, congrats, Mia on getting to teach a photography class that still uses a darkroom. I taught photography this past school term (in addition to Biology, Chemistry, and Physics). The D-19 would be of little use for most films as the contrast would be difficult to manage. Likely the astronomy department once had Kodak Technical Pan which was often developed in D-19 to gain contrast. They may have also gas-hypered their film to boost sensitivity. Stick with the D-76 for film and Dektol for prints. Dektol was once used for pushing film at newspapers (back in the old typewriter and glue pot days). If you are worried about contamination teach your students to use D-76 diluted 1:1 as a one shot developer. This way they pour it out after use. Dektol is also poured out after dilution. Save the fixer, though, as it can be reused a fair number of times before discarding.</p>