Decisive Moment text?

iamskye

<p>Sorry about that. Alibris has three copies <a href="http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?

S=R&qwork=1537308&qsort=p&siteID=Pw2LQAj_zJk-

axayNojhmrDZwScFrgfUEw">available</a> from $790 to $2,000. I doubt your local library

will ever consider buying a copy for a few people. I could only find <a

href="http://efotobooks.com/cartier-bresson/decisive-moment.html">this version</a>

on-line and the accompanying introduction. Good luck.

I'm amazed it hasn't been reprinted, it's considered one of the most important books about

photography. The Americans is being reprinted this year so if anyone hasn't got a copy of

that now's your chance. What I really want is a copy of Klein's new york for a reasonable

price, is that too much to ask...?

Bresson..

"Manufactured or staged photography does not

concern me. And if I make a judgment it can only

be on a psychological or sociological level. There

are those who take photographs arranged

beforehand and those who go out to discover the

image and seize it. For me, the camera is a sketch

book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity,

the master of the instant which --- in visual terms

--- questions and decides simultaneously. In order

to give a meaning to the world, one has to feel

oneself involved in what he frames through the

viewfinder. This attitude requires concentration, a

discipline of mind, sensitivity, and a sense of

geometry. It is by great economy of means that one

arrives at simplicity of expression. One must

always take photos with the greatest respect for the

subject and for oneself.

To take photographs is to hold one's breath when

all faculties converge in the face of fleeing reality.

It is at that moment that mastering an image

becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.

To take photographs means to recognize -

simultaneously and within a fraction of a second -

both the fact itself and the rigorous organization of

visually perceived forms that give it meaning. It is

putting one's head, one's eye and one's heart on

the same axis.

As far as I am concerned, taking photographs is a

means of understanding which cannot be

separated from other means of visual expression. It

is a way of shouting, of freeing oneself, not of

proving or asserting one's own originality. It is a

way of life."

- Henri Cartier-Bresson

Robert, how 'bout this one:

"I had just discovered the Leica. It became the extension of my eye, and I have never been separated from it since I found it. I prowled the streets all day, feeling very strung-up and ready to pounce, determined to "trap" life--to preserve life in the act of living. Above all, I craved to seize the whole essence, in the confines of one single photograph. . . "--Bresson

Hello !

If anyone happens to have a copy of the The Decisive Moment book, I would be most grateful to know the page number the text starts on. I have checked the online version that has been provided here but alas! there are no page numbers and as i am referencing the text i really need to know the page numbers..

thanks in advance if you can help me out

BDS said:

<< ... The Americans is being reprinted this year so if anyone hasn't got a copy of that now's your chance. ... >>

Thanks, Brian. I didn't know that until just now.

I've checked "The Americans" out of my local library so many times it's gotten to the point that when I walk in, they say: "Hello, Michael. Will you have the usual ?"

The essay that serves as the introduction to the online "Decisive Moment" cited above is reprinted on pp. 20-43 of "The Mind's Eye" (Aperture) and on pp. 12-22 of "The Education of a Photographer" (Traub et al, editors). Is this essay in the hardcopy version of "The Decisive Moment"?

• 1 year later...

<p>I got my copy of The Decisive Moment today, while the images are stunning and the "Home-made" feel of it all splendid, the writing is amazing. I am going to photocopy it for my self so I can refer to it on my laptop but I would like to know if there is an online version that people can refer to as I do not want to engage in copyright infringement.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>It was indeed available at that link (<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.efotobooks.com/cartier-bresson/decisive-moment.html" target="_blank">http://www.efotobooks.com/cartier-bresson/decisive-moment.html</a>), but unfortunately is not available anymore. Why, I don't know (copyright issues maybe?). Is there someone with another suggestion to find the introduction text online? Thanks. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>The photos are still available here: http://tinyurl.com/mjuxap. Unfortunately, the <em>Introduction</em> is not. As I mentioned in an earlier message, I believe that the text of the <em>Introduction</em> is the same as that reprinted on pp. 20-43 of "The Mind's Eye" (Aperture) and on pp. 12-22 of "The Education of a Photographer" (Traub et al, editors).</p>