Daido Moriyama -- a short film

cyanatic

<p>Has anyone been keeping up with his current work? Is so, what do you think of it? I read that he's gone digital and shoots in color now. Some of his color pictures were included in a exhibit at LACMA a few years back and one of the periodicals that he publishes was devoted to recent color work. Overall, I didn't think they were very strong images...but then again, I'm no expert.</p>

<p>I always dig Moriyama's coolth and "it's all good" philosophy.</p>

<p>Marc, I think Moriyama is working more in terms of themes and an overarching sensibility that works best in the context of unified sequential presentations - books, galleries, slideshows, that sort of thing. Taking one or two photos out of context won't convey the intended presentation. It's like taking one or two words out of a poem and thinking "This doesn't rhyme."</p>

<p>But I'm not sure it takes any expertise or that any agreement is needed. It seems akin to some minimalist music compositions or <em>musique concrete.</em> It won't appeal to everyone, and possibly won't appeal to anyone every time. Sometimes when I've viewed Moriyama's work from any period, I think I've got it. Other days I think, nope, I don't got it. Same with Antoine D'Agata and many other photographers who work in abstractions and overall themes. Some days I grok. Other days not. Subject to change at whim.</p>