D90 Video Flicker

ggoodroe

<p>Happy holidays everyone...</p>

<p>While I know that the D90 is far from an optimum video platform, I didn't expect to see such harsh flickering from the Florescent lights in the room at our Community center. My iPhone 4 didn't display any and I had to resort to using it for this evenings festivities.</p>

<p>I set the WB to florescent hoping that it would help...and it didn't. Any ideas on how to tame it for video purposes?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

George Goodroe<br>

St. Petersburg FL USA</p>

<p>George, the flickering is due to the difference, hence beating, between your D90's video frame rate (24 FPS) and the power line frequency (60Hz), whereas the iPhone shoots at 30 FPS - a submultiple of the line frequency thus synchronous and will not cause flickering.</p>

<p>White balance sets color temperature and will not address this issue; your best bet is to use supplemental lighting of adequate intensity to swamp out the fluorescent light.</p>

<p>Also, I read an article about video with DSLRs and at 24FPS you should be aiming for a shutter speed of 1/50 s - something to do with making it look smooth and to help with the jello effect. I'll have to find it and post it here. I think it was in Shutterbug or Popular Photography.</p>