D810 will not format my CF card

leon_pugh

<p>Just got the D810 home.<br>

Inserted one of the memory cards I was using in my D4, a Delkin Devices 32G (UDMA 6).<br>

The D810 gives a message saying it cannot format the card, that it might be defective.</p>

<p>I popped it into the D4. No problem formating or using this card.<br>

Back to the D810. It still will not format (or read) the card. <br>

Bizar.<br>

My other CF card, a SanDisk extreme 32G (UDMA) works in both cameras, no problem.<br>

I find it strange that the D4 has no issue with either card but the D810 does.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you have a disk utility of one kind or another, many of them will analyze and even potentially repair the card.</p>

<p>On the other hand, once failed, consider yourself warned. Do you feel lucky, eh? Do you?</p>

<p>Lower capacity cards (8-16GB) these days are available for very low prices - with any card, it's best to buy from a known and trusted source, since counterfeits are definitely out there.</p>

<p>I have two name brand 15gb CF cards that I have had for years and work perfectly (still work perfectly) with my D3 but would never format and were not usable with my D800. </p>

<p>Since the cards work in your D4, they are obviously not defective or malfunctioning. There is likely just some kind of compatibility issue. You will have to find other card(s) that are compatible.</p>

<p>This discussion gives me a flash back to 10 years ago shooting with a D200. The card crashed in the middle of the shoot. I had to start over and re-shoot on a different card. Next day, I went into my long time photo supply store complaining about the crash. I said, "give me something that is fast and won't crash." They gave me a box of TRI-X.</p>

<p>My 32GB Delkin CF 700x work perfectly in D810 (also in D3, D4 and D800). I just shot a wedding this Saturday (using this card), and I consider D810 to be the best ever built digital SLR . Huge differences vs. D800..., excellent viewfinder, white balance, colours, dynamic range , lcd, low ISO perfect at 6400 ,no more read/write time lag on cards, consistent exposure and extremely low noise shutter .<br /> And Dan, it works even with all my old CF/SD cards... :-)</p><div>00ciZ4-549907584.jpg.26714fc63e233514f4b581e6ad4a0bc5.jpg</div>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I had the same problem with the KINGSTON 16GB 266X CF CARD and called Nikon within second it happened! It seems like the Nikon D810 is more picky about the memory cards you use in the camera. They responded with;<br>

The following link provides a list of approved cards for the D810:<br>

Title: Approved Memory Cards - D810<br />Link: <a title="https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19151" href="https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19151" target="_blank">https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19151</a><br /><br />If using a acceptable a Memory Cards, please call Nikon for further trouble shooting.<br>

Their phone number for USA:188 645-6687<br>

Watch out for issues with the flash firing only one time when using 3rd party lens (for example Sigma lens). I attached a working sigma len from my NIKON D300 that worked fine for 2 years to the new Nikon d810. The camera flashed one time and one time only. To get it to fire again, I had to turn the D810 all the way off and then on again to fire again. I still could get only one flash shot at a time. Called Nikon and they had me take the lens off and put a Nikon lens on and problem went away. So all those 3rd party lenses you were planning to use, may cause you issues.</p>

<div>00cmC7-550575784.jpg.1db33f7b8c42692071b766f6c6a77b19.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>You should format using the OK button in the lower left border of the camera, not the multiselector button. That should solve the problem. It happened the same to me. I am using and old 1G CF card and no trouble at all.</p><div>00cnHh-550765784.jpg.02d1acfe051ebd4e7a0fae3152623775.jpg</div>