D800 "PICTURE CONTROLS" PROBLEM

stephen_lilley

<p>Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes. Received my D800 yesterday, Wow! Took some early morning shots today and downloaded my Raw files via Nikon Transfer ver 2.1. When I went to edit in Nikon NX2 ver 2.3.1 I found that "camera settings " was not available in the develop section of the drop down menu. Everything from and including " quickfix is available. I was using my D300 until Friday no problem with that and the software. Any Ideas ? </p>

<p> Thanks Stephen</p>

<p>Stephen,<br>

Do you start transfer from ViewNX 2.3.1, or do you stil have an older version of transfer installed ?<br>

If you stil have the older version of transfer installed, it might not recognise the D800 nef files .<br>

In that case starting transfer from ViewNX2 2.3.1 might give better results.</p>

<p>The D800 is a <em>brand new </em>camera and it's well known that Nikon (needlessly IMHO) change their NEF format slightly with each new camera model. So you should expect some "teething troubles" or end-user-final-inspection/beta testing issues. This is part of the price paid for being an early adopter. I'm sure that Nikon will eventually make updates available for their software and/or firmware to fix all these glitches.<br>

Meanwhile, please keep reporting any issues directly to Nikon support, so that those of us with a bit more patience can reap the benefit of buying a fully debugged D800 at some time in the near future.</p>

<p>Nikon NX2 ver 2.3.1 specifically added support for the D800, and was released slightly before the cameras hit the market as I recall. Not having a D800 I can't check that it works, but I would check your picture control settings on the body and that 'Camera Settings' are enabled in NX2. Also Nikon suggests View NX2 version 2.2.4 or later is required for use with this version of Capture NX2, but I am not sure why this would make a difference for this problem.</p>

<p>What happens when you transfer the files directly (not laundering them through Transfer), and then directly open them in Capture NX2? They're just files - no need for the intermediate layer of a transfer application in order to test that aspect of things.</p>

<p>Version 2.3.1 does work with D800 RAW files.</p>

<p>Make sure that the word "ALL" appears to the right of the word "ADJUSTMENTS>" at the top right instead of QUICK. If it says QUICK, that is where your problem lies. If you do have it set correctly, I suggest you contact Nikon for tech support for further assistance.</p>

<p>A suggestion to Rodeo Joe. Think before you post.<br />"...so that those of us with a bit more patience can reap the benefit of buying a fully debugged D800 at some time in the near future."<br />I will bet that a lot of us who have got a D800 already are a lot more patient than you are. My latest camera is 6 years old and I've waited for this replacement for 2 years. And, fyi, it's not always possible for all of us to just sit and wait as it is for you. Some of us have needs that have to be addressed now. For ex my long around the world wildlife camping tour that I started planning for 2 years ago.<br />So, again, it doesn't have to have to do with patience. It has to do in your case with less needs and more wanting though, betting you have a good camera already and will just buy this model because it has a couple of cool features you really don't need.<br /><br />Things are not as simple as you think they are.</p>