D800 Error Message

cherubinphotography

<p>I have been shooting with a Nikon D800 and a new 24-70 f2.8 for about a month with no problems. Even had a full portrait session yesterday that went flawlessly. Then today I took out the combination to shoot my son's baseball game and the first shot sounded like the mirror stayed up and the camera showed err on the top lcd. I checked all of my settings and was shooting in aperture priority at iso100 in bright sunlight. The image displayed said it exposed at 1/320 at f5.6 but was very overexposed. I cycled power, removed the battery, and reseated the lens and still had the "err" on the lcd. Finally, I switched to manual and was able to clear the code. Then went back and continued to shoot in aperture priority with no further problems.<br>

Any thoughts as to the cause?</p>

<p>I have had a very similar issue with mine. I sent my body to Nikon Melville and they could not find any issue.</p>

<p>FWIW, my camera does not record images in the buffer to the memory card when the mirror issue occurs (the mirror sounds different when the error occurs).</p>

<p>Are you using a grip?</p>

<p>I think you guys may be on to something. I think it may be related to battery power and I am using a grip. The grip battery had been close to 0% and the body battery close to 100%. I never saw such an error with either of my D300 bodies so I never gave it any thought. After the "incident" I noticed the grip battery reached zero and I was now running on the battery in the body.</p>

<p>How do you have your preferences set in the menus for battery use, body first or MB-D12 first?<br>

If it happens to you again (or you can try to simulate it whenever you get a battery at the end of the charge) , try to change it in the menu to body first. As your grip battery shows to be close to 0 (but it is not completely discharged) maybe the camera is not making the switch. If that's the case, making this change may solve the mirror problem.</p>

<p>How do you have your preferences set in the menus for battery use, body first or MB-D12 first?<br>

If it happens to you again (or you can try to simulate it whenever you get a battery at the end of the charge) , try to change it in the menu to body first. As your grip battery shows to be close to 0 (but it is not completely discharged) maybe the camera is not making the switch. If that's the case, making this change may solve the mirror problem.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I'm using the "Flashpoint" grip which has got to be a private label of the Nikon grip</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If it is not branded "Nikon" it is not a "Nikon".<br>

SOmetimes stuff is branded "Nikon", which is not Nikon either but counterfeit ...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I finally had the opportunity to charge the battery that was in the grip and then put it in the camera body. It is showing a life of 2 out of 4, and this is a new Nikon battery! So, now I don't know if the issue was with the Nikon battery or the Flashpoint grip but the battery is definitely no good. Both are being shipped back today.</p>