D800 Error Message

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by cherubinphotography, Apr 27, 2013.

1. I have been shooting with a Nikon D800 and a new 24-70 f2.8 for about a month with no problems. Even had a full portrait session yesterday that went flawlessly. Then today I took out the combination to shoot my son's baseball game and the first shot sounded like the mirror stayed up and the camera showed err on the top lcd. I checked all of my settings and was shooting in aperture priority at iso100 in bright sunlight. The image displayed said it exposed at 1/320 at f5.6 but was very overexposed. I cycled power, removed the battery, and reseated the lens and still had the "err" on the lcd. Finally, I switched to manual and was able to clear the code. Then went back and continued to shoot in aperture priority with no further problems.
    Any thoughts as to the cause?

2. I have had a very similar issue with mine. I sent my body to Nikon Melville and they could not find any issue.
    FWIW, my camera does not record images in the buffer to the memory card when the mirror issue occurs (the mirror sounds different when the error occurs).
    Are you using a grip?

3. Did you check the battery charge level?

4. I think you guys may be on to something. I think it may be related to battery power and I am using a grip. The grip battery had been close to 0% and the body battery close to 100%. I never saw such an error with either of my D300 bodies so I never gave it any thought. After the "incident" I noticed the grip battery reached zero and I was now running on the battery in the body.

5. PS - I just added the grip a week ago...

6. Interestingly, I did not have a problem with my generic grip. I upgraded to the Apple grip from a third-party grip that's when I start having the problem.
    Are you using a genuine Apple grip?

7. Sorry, I meant to say "Are you using a genuine Nikon grip?", not Apple. My son has been doing all kinds of Apple Ipod stuff today and I guess I have Apple on the brain! LOL!!!

8. How do you have your preferences set in the menus for battery use, body first or MB-D12 first?
    If it happens to you again (or you can try to simulate it whenever you get a battery at the end of the charge) , try to change it in the menu to body first. As your grip battery shows to be close to 0 (but it is not completely discharged) maybe the camera is not making the switch. If that's the case, making this change may solve the mirror problem.

9. How do you have your preferences set in the menus for battery use, body first or MB-D12 first?
    If it happens to you again (or you can try to simulate it whenever you get a battery at the end of the charge) , try to change it in the menu to body first. As your grip battery shows to be close to 0 (but it is not completely discharged) maybe the camera is not making the switch. If that's the case, making this change may solve the mirror problem.

10. I would try Deoxit on the contacts of the lens and camera. These electronics are pretty sensitive, and a little corrosion can create a problem like you describe.
    If that doesn't work, I would send it to Nikon. Both camera and lens.

11. I'm using the "Flashpoint" grip which has got to be a private label of the Nikon grip. They are far too alike.
    I think I may have read somewhere else about this or a similar problem a while ago. I like using the grip and extra battery so I'll likely just manually switch when getting close.

12. I'm using the "Flashpoint" grip which has got to be a private label of the Nikon grip​
    If it is not branded "Nikon" it is not a "Nikon".
    SOmetimes stuff is branded "Nikon", which is not Nikon either but counterfeit ...

13. I finally had the opportunity to charge the battery that was in the grip and then put it in the camera body. It is showing a life of 2 out of 4, and this is a new Nikon battery! So, now I don't know if the issue was with the Nikon battery or the Flashpoint grip but the battery is definitely no good. Both are being shipped back today.