D80 or D3000

ali.r

<p>Hi , i am a macro photographer & i want upgrade my camera (Panasonic FZ7) with a DSLR. I have 2 choices in DSLRS with CCD sensor (Nikon D80 & Nikon D3000). D80 is a old body but great camera & D3000 is a new camera with new technology. Therefore i could not choice simply between these cameras. So please help me in this choice.</p>

<p>Tanx</p>

<p>Ali</p>

<p>We can only help you partly in the choice. The D80 and the D3000 are quite different bodies. Go to a shop, hold a D3000 and see how that feels in your hand. Hold a D90 (this body is nearly identical to the D80) and see how that feels in your hand. Check the viewfinder for differences.<br>

Another important point: the D80 will autofocus with non-AF-S lenses, the D3000 will not.</p>

<p>What is the "must" about a CCD sensor anyway? I took some macropictures with a CMOS sensor, and it works just fine?</p>

<p>The D80 and D3000 use the same sensor and same AF system. The D80 will give you a better viewfinder, which is a major plus for macro.</p>

<p>However, if you indeed shoot a lot of macros from a tripod, I would get something with live view, which is a great help for macro work. In other words, look into a D90 or even a D5000. The D90 has a much better LCD on the back, though.</p>

• 4 months later...
<p>I would like to hear your opinion on this. I can get D3000 kit with 18-55 vr lens and some extra( bag, 2.5x telephoto lens, etc.) for $350 or D80 with the same lens no extras for $400. Which one?<br /> <br /> Both of the cameras are used. I'm not going to be pro in photography and I'm not even trying. I'm not going to buy lot of lenses. I just want to get good camera with 1 or 2 lenses, that is it. I don't know if $50 extra will give me something I will never use. Some concerns I have with D80 that it doesn't have anti-dust feature like D3000 has, but it is more professional camera with lots of feature. D3000 seems to have a better AF system. How the noise on those two on HI ISO?<br /> <br /> Thanks</p>