D750 info display question...

DB_Gallery

Got a D750 question / concern, hopefully there is an embarrassingly simple solution to it.

I have only had the camera for a day and have not located the topic in the manual but when changing things like ISO, image quality or

white balance, the info now lights up on the back screen which I find pretty distracting over just having it on the top LCD and will likely be

a big distraction for some work I do where I have to be low key.

I figure this is done because the top LCD is now pretty small so that info would be cramped? For example, the only thing that shows up

on the top LCD during a white balance adjustment is the bias, no overall settings like going from auto to tungsten to sunlight. It does show

the number for the kelvin setting when selecting that on the back LCD.

If anyone knows of a way to disable the rear panel from lighting up and just using the top LCD when changing ISO, quality or white

balance, I would love to know...because it is going to be hella distracting when shooting in dark venues.

<p>Well, you persuaded me to download a D750 manual. :-) Interestingly, it's under Nikon's "professional" camera list, like the D700 and unlike the D610.<br />

<br />

...Which persuaded me that I don't actually know the answer to this. You can switch the rear LCD to white on black (option d8), which might make it less distracting, but I'd no idea that the information display screen would be on by default - I thought it only appeared when you press "info", which seems to be the default behaviour on other Nikons. Just checking that you're saying the information display screen now lights up whenever you change anything? I knew the low-end Nikons did this (because they have no top LCD), but I'd not heard anyone say the D750 did. That's a worry - I agree it would be annoying (and kill the batteries). I don't think you can turn this display on permanently even if you want to on most high-end Nikons (the nearest web reference I found was someone actually requesting this of the D7000), so the behaviour you're seeing is definitely a surprise to me.<br />

<br />

I'll be interested to learn what's going on!</p>

<p>Humm, I can't see an OFF option, but the time setting is on Pencil (Custom Setting Menu!) <strong>c4</strong>, p337 of the D750 PDF, I don't have a D750 yet, so don't know what options you can see!</p>

<p>However on p 341 you can change it to white in black which might be more covert and add monitor brightness on p 376 can be set to dark.</p>

<p>EDIT. Crossed post with Andrew!</p>

<p>Just had a play with my D5300 and there's an<strong><em> info</em> </strong>button on the top panel that turns off the back info panel!</p>

<p>I can, for example, change aperture in A Mode with the back wheel and the panel doesn't light up.</p>

<blockquote>Humm, I can't see an OFF option, but the time setting is on Pencil (Custom Setting Menu!) c4, p337 of the D750 PDF, I don't have a D750 yet, so don't know what options you can see!</blockquote>

<p>Yes, I thought of that. :-) DPReview helpfully list all the options that were available on the D600, which I suspect is similar. There's no "0" option.</p>

<blockquote>Just had a play with my D5300 and there's an info button on the top panel that turns off the back info panel!<br />

<br />

I can, for example, change aperture in A Mode with the back wheel and the panel doesn't light up.</blockquote>

<p>Huh, interesting. I'm not sure why the display on a D750 would default to on, but maybe this is all it needs. The D5300 doesn't have a top LCD, of course, so I'd expect the rear display to be more involved.</p>

I suppose I will just have to get used to it as it seems ISO, Quality and White Balance now prompt the rear

display on by default. I think I will add the custom function toggle of light to dark, dark to light to my menu though as I

don't mind it changing in most situations, just don't need it doing that when changing a setting at an event that would see the camera

occasionally point towards a spotlight while changing it. Speaking of events, the camera is not as quiet as the 610 or 810 so the 810 is king for low key.

On other notes the shooting remotely via wifi and my phone is super slick, will be awesome for a project I am doing on the health of rivers where the camera is in an underwater housing. Also, the metering and white balance are a indeed the improvement over the D610 I expected since it uses the same system as the 810.

I am fairly certain they had to do the rear LCD thing because the top right LCD is considerably smaller now. Thanks for aiding in the

investigation!

<blockquote>

<p>of rivers where the camera is in an underwater housing</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Pleas let us know if this works, since it is hard to use radio based control underwater<br>

( radio waves travel through gas / air ok, but not through water as far as i am aware, or do i misunderstand that ?..) .</p>

<p>Looking on p.7 of a D610 manual and p.8 of the D750 manual, I can see why they'd need to use the rear screen for AF mode, image quality and white balance (all of which fit on the larger display of the D800), but there actually seems to be <i>more</i> numerical information - ISO can be displayed directly on the bottom five-digit readout of the D750, whereas it has to share the shutter speed read-out (I think) on the D800 and the shots remaining (I think) read-out on the D810. ISO, at least, really shouldn't need the rear panel to come on for a D750 just in order to provide information.<br />

<br />

Can anyone else with a D750 confirm this behaviour (just in case Daniel has done something odd)? I concur with him that it sounds annoying, so I'm happy to have learnt about it (or at least, not happy that it happens, but happy to be warned). My only qualification is that I read camera manuals for fun, so I can't vouch for the D750 behaviour myself - though I'm glad if I've helped at all.<br />

<br />

Good luck with the camera washing exercise! I'll also be interested to know how well it works. Some radio does seem to work at short range underwater - my wife has a radio controlled thermal vest for scuba diving.</p>