D7000 problems?

rob_naumann

<p>They are hard to find because they are BRAND new, within the last 2 weeks, and supply has not kept up with demand.</p>

<p>This is the first report I have read about any pixel issues. So, the review you read on BestBuy may have been a single defective unit. Nikon won't recall them, but if an issue arises, you can use the warranty to have it repaired.</p>

<p>I have read several posts of people shooting photos and videos with the lens cap on to count bad pixels. Personally I try to do all my shooting with the cap off so it isn't of any interest to me.</p>

<p>I've used mine a lot over the last 3 weeks and I don't have a single complaint.</p>

<p>Over at DPReview there have been a few people that have noticed really annoying stuck pixels in their video - it's hard to get rid of them in video and it really does not look very good even in well lit scenes. <br>

Stuck pixels in general are common and usually do not present any issues with stills as it's quite easy to get rid of them. Video though should not have any stuck pixels - seems a firmware update or a re-mapping by Nikon is on order to solve the problem, however big or small it may actually be.</p>

<p>My D7K body is on order (who knows when it will actually get shipped) and I'll be curious if there are stuck pixels in video mode, which, admittedly I'll not be using all that much, but when I do I don't want to see them.</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>I had a Nikon D90 and it had a dead pixel. It was not a big problem for me since the poor deceased pixel was automatically detected and buried by LightRoom on import. I now have a D7000 to try out and it has no problems with dead pixels. As John said, if you do have one (or more) dead pixels, you can always have it re-mapped by Nikon. It would be even better if the camera re-mapped dead pixels automatically.</p>

<p>I've had it( D7000) for the last 3 days now and i haven't had any probelms with it what so ever, yet.<br>

The images are much sharper than D5000 and much quieter to my ear.<br>

and the colors are well recreated to the original and HD image of the video is really sharp and clear.<br>

To me I cannot find any problem wioth the camera, but that I love to much.<br>

(I not a pro-critic, it is just my own impression of the Camera).</p>

<p>I just bought one D7000 last Sunday from BB (luckily they had one), but it had too many (~10-15) dead and hot pixels with video at low light, also with the still images taken over ISO2000(not noise --literally dead pixels). I read lots of dead pixel issues for D7000 at other forums and it is little annoying. If I am paying that much money that much money at least still has to be perfect and 1080 videos at low light should have max 2-3 (none is the best). I wanted to exchange but BB didn't have any in stock to check so I just returned. I will wait until December to see if Nikon will fix the issue which apparently very common according to the reviews.</p>

<p>I got my 1st one from BB at Nov 8th but it had too many dead pixels (not noise) so I returned back since they were out of stock. I got another one today and just checked, this one is even worse since the still images at ISO 800 has ONE dead pixel at the middle of the picture which is very annoying. HD videos above ISO 16000 has lots of noise but 7-8 dead/hot pixels.So, this one is going back to BB as well. I don't why Nikon can not solve the issue or at least say something officially (will address soon or later, etc)..<br>

So, it is very nice camera and great futures. I decided to wait until december to see if there is any solution.</p>

<p>I got my 3rd D7000 yesterday from BB and this one has a bright Blue dead (or stuck) pixels on still pictures taken on every ISO level (100-6400)..... Video also has 3 red(dead) pixels and one of them is almost in the middle where you can not avoid being annoyed by. I thought I was going to wait until december for the new batch but i will keep exchanging at BB. They have to find a way to fix the issue (remapping, etc)..Otherwise, BB can not handle all the returns during holiday season. The only reason I don't want to buy online b/c exchange process takes 15 mins on local stores as oppose to 15 days on any online store. Wish me luck with my 4th one.</p>

<p>Hakan, you are either a very unluck guy or extremely picky. I hope you are not one of those who takes pictures with the lens cap on and then search for hot pixels on a dark frame. If you do that, you'll like find problem in every DSLR.</p>

<p>If you are demanding, I think you are better off just send the camera to Nikon and have them map out the hot pixels. Have you had problems with previous DSLR models.</p>

<p>I am glad that my one D7000 is working fine. This is my 6th DSLR from Nikon (starting from the 2002 D100) plus a bunch of new ones we get from Nikon USA for testing. For me, so far every Nikon DSLR works find right out of the box.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Is there a way to be notified when these updates are released or do I just keep checking back on the Adobe site?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Meghan, I don't know which software included it, or whether you can just download it from the Nikon site, but there is a Nikon Messaging software that will notify you when new updates are available. It pops up on my computer when I import images, and lets me know that updates are available for the products I own.</p>

<p>I finally got my 4th D7000 and this one is even worse than others. Shun, as you said, i might be very unlucky. I am not using "cap on", all the test pictures I took was either a dark sky with some light (which any DSLR should handle with no red-Blue or Green dot on it) or indoor with with slight light. I don't thinks so it is a smart idea to buy a $1500 for a DSLR and fix the dead/stuck pixels on almost "every single" "Still image" you take with photo editing software. For video, again it is taken right after dusk and, I can see 5(fiver) dead/stuck pixels right in the middle almost. I will just return (no more exchange), and see if Nikon will address the issue (so far, bye bye Nikon D7K). Also, buying a new product from a store and sending it to manufacturer is a very silly idea. If they cared, i am sure they would have addressed by now. so, lets wait and see..</p>

<p>No offense Hakan, if you get one bad sample of any camera, you may be unlucky. Two in a row, you have to be really unlucky. Four in a row, I am afraid that there are other reaons. I would imagine that if you get 10 more D7000, you will find problems in all of them. I think you are better off with another model or brand.</p>

<p>As I said, my D7000 is my 6th Nikon DSLR, and I have tested various new-in-the-box D3000, D5000, D300 (other than my own copy), D3, D3X, and D3S on loan from Nikon. I have never found any problems on any one of them, nor from any one of the film SLRs I had purchased new before.</p>

<p>None taken. I hope not I am that picky since I just wanted to have no red dot on a still image taken by a $1500 camera at even ISO200. The reason for all of them having same problem(s) with still image and videos might be because of the same location i bought from. It was a Best Buy. After reading couple of reliable web reviews, it is obvious that lots of other folks are having the same issue with D7000 and they never had any problem with any other Nikon cameras they owned before. Apparently, Nikon made a mistake and doubled the problem by not admitting/addressing early enough. I did the same test to a D90 (a friend of mine) and 30D (Canon -another friend- yes, i have Canon friends :-) ), none of them had any. I will wait until December hoping Nikon will address the issue otherwise, this can be a very bad marketing problem as people read reviews from some other reliable sources such as dpreview, cnet, etc. I am thinking D300 might be an option for me if d7K fails to meet "my" expectation.</p>

<p>The D7000 suffered an rather reserved review in the German photo magazine "Colorfoto" - they claim that once ISO settings are pushed upwards the sensor has less latitude than the D90 and that this represented a clear step backwards from that model which they prefer for the same reason.<br /> The other German magazine "Foto" -in a generally enthusiastic review- noted too a number of hot pixels, in line with this thread.<br /> Interesting to read in the otherwise generally very good press the D7000 receives in the US.</p>

<p>i couldn't wait for b&h, so i got on ebay and bid $1400 for a d7000 a few weeks ago, certain i wouldn't win. well, i did, and it's been a rocky ride. first of all, the video was really jumpy. the guy at the camera store in pennsylvania who offered the camera said i needed a class '6' or higher sd card. i thought it was strange since i hadn't seen that written anywhere else. so i got the card, did a quick test and accepted the camera. well, the video still sucks and now, i'm having what i believe to be back-focusing problems with my 70-200 2.8 vr1. i'm not a happy person as i'll now have to ship this thing off to NPS in the morning.<br>

my main is a d700 and it's great, i just wanted to 'upgrade' from my d300 back-up body. i may have made a big mistake. the in-focus shots are really nice and it is quiet as hell, but it's dinky and i'm not completely sold on sd cards. i somehow doubt you can run one over with your car or run one through the washer and dryer. guess how i know that?<br>

anyway, is anyone else getting jumpy video out there? i'm not into video enough to see 'dead pixels,' but i'm sure i've got those, too. i should have just bitten the bullet and gotten a d3s...no more cheapies for me. <br>

thanks for your time,<br>

rob o'neal</p>