D7000 not powering off and other stuff

harveysteeves

So, my D7000 will not shut off when I power off. The top LCD screen stays alive. Have to take the battery out. It's not liking Sandisk

cards now but will take Lexars and Duracells. Didn't use to do this. It's still under warranty but I just got back a D700 that started

having card reading issues and would do things like fire continuous while on single frame. I am wondering about environmental

causes. Or those ghosts ...

<p>Are you frequently going from a heated room to a cold, outside space to shoot? Or are you in a area with high (75% or more) humidity? That could be part of your problem.</p>

<p>As for Sandisk cards not working ... that would be for Nikon to sort out.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Insert an empty card in the first slot, then put the current (defective) one into the second. This time che camera should start correctly (without the little green light on the back staying on). Format the second card (hopefully after copying the picture files on a computer). Hope it works. I' ve already had a similar problem and resolved it in that way. Think that there already is a firmware update aimed to fix some problems with cards(i did not update, feel no trust in Nikon's abilities in software).</p>

<p>I was thinking that because the cameras had been in high-humidity environments although at different times, that humidity was the culprit. The D700 had the card reader replaced. The screwed up card that came out of it may have a chance at recovery but I have to send in another similar card to see. </p>

<p>I have never upgraded the firmware - I'll let Nikon do it as they sort things out. I will remind them that as I have mortgaged personal body parts to buy their cameras, they should treat me nice. As an aside, I learned it was a bad idea to send them cameras to repair at Christmas via the post office - even if the package was supposed to be express. It was expressed all right - to a warehouse in the middle of nowhere where it sat waiting to be found and delivered. Nikon was great when they finally got my gear to repair.</p>