D70 Worn out?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by wagner, Feb 11, 2005.

1. My D70 stopped working about 8 weeks ago (its 6 months old). Took it
    to the local camera store who had no clue. They sent it to Nikon. 8
    weeks later (today) I got it back. Turns out they had to replace the
    moving parts...at least those associated with the shutter/mirror
    mechanism. Nikon said it simply wore out... I shot 7K pictures with
    it. The camera store agreed thats about the life of the
    shutter/mirror mechanism.

Question: Should I really expect to have my camera rebuilt every 7K
    shots? Is this normal?

2. I would certainly hope not. I know my D2H should have a shutter rated to around 100K to 150K clicks, so I would expect at least 25-50K out of a D70. But you can check to see what it's rated for.

By the way, 8 weeks seems like a long time for service and I'm guessing it's because you had the camera store send your D70 in for you. I'm about to send in my D70, SB-000, and D2H for repairs. The advice I got was to contact Nikon first (email or phone) to discuss the problems and get service numbers before sending everything in. Then include a letter describing the problem along with a print out of the service number when you ship the camera directly to them following their protocol as described on their website. Then it's recommended that you be a greasy wheel and call them frequently to inquire about the status of the repair. This is going to be my approach; I'm hoping it will minimize the turn around time.

~ Ted

www.pbase.com/turnert

3. 7,000 exposures doesn't seem like very many. Think of it: supposing you took 35 exposures per day, really a modest amount for someone who is an active photographer. In 200 days the camera would be kaput. Is my math correct?

This doesn't seem right. If these shutters were this short-lived we'd be hearing more tales like this one. I think something else is going on here.
    Doug

4. Considering that digital photography encourages us to take more photos, it's reasonable to expect a reasonably long life from digital cameras, all things considered - price, amateur or "pro" body, etc.

I tend to side with Douglas: if this was a common problem with the D70 we'd have heard more complaints by now. But it would be disappointing to learn that what we believe to be a perfectly good camera could be worn out prematurely in normal use.

5. I experience with my D100 is very different. It has about 35K images on it now and is going strong.

It needed to go in for warranty work over a year ago (hot/stuck pixels). My camera store sent it in for me and it was turned-around in about 2.5 weeks.

6. The word on the street has always been that Nikon shutters on professional models are rated to 150,000 cycles and non-professional rated to 50,000 cycles. I'd be really surprised if a D70 only lasted 7,000 cycles.

7. They can't have it both ways. First, the "local camera store ... had no clue."

Fair enough. Likely they're not technicians. They why they sent the camera to Nikon.

Then, after Nikon repaired your camera, the camera store [same one, I gather] "agreed that's about the life of the shutter ..."

Now, if one of the Nikon techs regularly repairing the D70 were to say 7000 actuations represents the life expectancy of the shutter, *that* would be news.

Not good news, I might add.

8. Gee I hope not. Getting close to the 7K mark myself.

9. I'm with Patrick... I'm at just under 7k.

10. How do you measure the amount of shots (cycles?) taken on your camera? (mine's a Nikon D70). Thank you.

11. <p>Mine is close to 10K and no problem (knock on wood :). I seem to recall it was rated
    for 50K which should last me a couple of year...
    <p>--ben

12. Same case as Benoit.

13. emm...If mine did die at 7K I wonder if that would be a good enough excuse to my wife to pick up a Dx2 when it hits the street?

I'm sure she'd faint from sticker shock though.

14. Olivier asked:

"How do you measure the amount of shots (cycles?) taken on your camera? (mine's a Nikon D70)."

The D70 encodes a shutter count into the EXIF data. Different EXIF viewers do or don't show this (I use 'exiftool', which does). I'm not certain, but I think this count is greater than zero on a brand-new camera, probably already including some factory test exposures.

Also, if you set your D70's "File No. Seq." setting appropriately (see page 159 of the manual), then a glance at the filename of your most recent photo will tell you the exposure count (modulo 10,000).

--Bill

15. If thats true, it was a great marketing secret becuse they wouldn't have sold (1) D70. I can't imagine 7,000 shots and its shot.How much was the fix? I'm sure that was pricey.With the digital cameras, you can take way more pictures in the same time it would have taken you to wear out a 35mm SLR camera.

16. 7k would indeed be grim news. I do hope DSLR makers are not going to go the way of
    their consumer electronics cousins and manufacture obsolescence into their digital
    products, forcing us to upgrade every six or seven years. Am I being naﶥ?

17. Oops, the forum doesn't do i-umlaut. :)

Last word of the last post = naive.

18. The repair was free...extended warrantee (the only time I have ever bought one). It was only 6 mo old so I am not sure if I would have been charged or not anyway.

19. (Thanks, Bill)

20. i shot fashion week in new york this past week....well over 6000 pix and no problems....think you just got a bum cam is all....ive had my d100 over 2+ years now, shot 200k images easily....no problems....so no, its not normal...

21. That sounds more like it. And I don't know Grant personally, but my guess is he doesn't exactly baby the cameras. Am I right, Grant?

22. Anyone who believes 7K is the lifetime of a shutter on a D70 or any other SLR should be pummeled and their camera given to someone else.

23. the local camera store who had no clue + camera store agreed thats about the life of the shutter/mirror mechanism = time to find new store
    I do not know if you are very happy with the quality of their service but it sounds that it is time to look for a store where they do have a clue about photography/cameras. From experience I know it is not always that easy and probably you have to pay a price for that, but I think it is well worth it.

24. For reference, it most certainly is a field camera (you can look at my photos, all outdoor stuff), but the camera has never been droped, punted, or similarly abused.

I hope I'm not the intended pummeling victim....

25. Paul,

Would you believe a mechanic that said your cars engine had to be rebuilt every 7000 miles becuase "that's about the life of the engine" ?

:)

26. Some photographers are wearing out DSLR(s) in a short period of time but they should not fail after a small number of cycles. If the cameras was not damaged as in a drop this is clearly a defective camera.

Is it under warranty? It&#146;s only six months old? Someone is lying to you!

27. Not a good sign, just got this from nikon support after I asked the shutter life of a D70.
    "We do not have a specification of shutter cycle life on the D70. However, the D70 is a very sucessful and well proven camera." well I feel better about the $1000 I spent. Canon here I come.

28. D70 Worn Out - Could this be a case similar to D70 Won't Power Up?
    Three buddies of mine and myself have exceeded at least 9,800 frames, not counting those that we deleted. I'd say 7K shots is not normal. However, three of our D70s are back at Nikon Malaysia and we have not received any feedback from them. You're fortunate you got your unit back after only 8 weeks. It's been 14 weeks since our first unit was shipped to Nikon for repair.

29. Hi!

I took 9.600 pics with my D70 since I bought it last christmas. Last friday l generated
    around 3.000 pics during 5 hours of shooting horseriding, using my second hand 80
    -200/2.8 ED-IF. Equipment performance turned out to be absolutely stunning, both in
    terms of picture quality and reliability. AF measured, followed and predicted totally correct
    at about 80% of all images, matrix metering almost never failed and worked perfectly
    consistent and continuous mode allowed me to shoot some 10 pictures at 3.5/sec before
    it filled up the buffer, having set fine JPEG! After all, my own framing skills turned out to
    be a much more limiting factor when it comes to aspects I could control!

BUT:

I consider continuous mode absolutely necessary when shooting horses, because pictures
    of horses at standstill are somewhat pointless and moving horses generally don't look like
    much when, because a.) they only look good at some angles, b.) they only look good
    during a bunch of very short moments during one step, largely depending on the pace and
    c.) they only look good when they have proper genes, are in the right mood, trained well
    and riden well during the shooting. So, even if you don't care about the way the rider looks
    and you accept c.) as a horse and rider dependend variable, even if there is someone
    standing beside you telling when to shoot because the angle is correct or when not to
    shoot because the horse moves badly while you concentrate on framing and even if you
    can rely on good lighting conditions and a more than proper equipment, you end up
    throwing away at least 5 out of 6 pictures.

SO:

At an estimated lifespan of 50.000 shots, I need to trash the camera after some 15 more
    of such days! Hurray!

30. There are error messages almost unique to the D70. CHR being the most notorious because it shuts down the camera. That is fixable with some tips. Look up 'Nikon D70 error message CHR' for a hundred fixes, most of which work. It is usually a CF card issue, but not always. Sometimes the pins in the camera are dirty. Get a cleaning kit. Clean the CF card itself with a product from RadioShack. Lubricate the contacts with the proper electrolyte grease. The error message should go away. If not, remove and reinstall card. Several times if necessary. Examine the pins in the camera carefully. 50/50 have to engage or you get the CHR message.
    DO NOT TRASH A D70 WITH THIS ERROR MESSAGE. Repairs are detailed with pictures at 'Nikon D70 repair manual' and you can totally rebuild the camera if you have parts and your fingers work properly. Get a Phillips #00 first, and avoid capacitors.
    My problem is a D70 which will not power up; it is totally cherry, clean, undropped, undamaged, good battery (several), good CF card (several), cleaned contacts, etc. I'm getting the courage up to disassemble.
    The D70 shutter and mechanicals should be good for 50,000 at a minimum. 100,000 would be usual. Because of the CF problem, if you can get a D90 for anywhere near the price, that would be the pick. It also has a bigger screen, 12+ MPx, and uses AN SD CARD :).