D70 long exposureNR

michael_b6

I've never used this feature on my D70 and am wondering if I should. Anyone

know how long the exposure has to be before it kicks on? Also, can anyone

comment on the sacrifices made when using it? For instance, is noise reduced

at the expense of sharpness, and if so by how vaguely how much (very

noticeable, insignificant, etc)?

The manual for the D70 should tell you how long the shutter needs to be open before Long Exp NR kicks in.

I have it set to "on" on my D2x. I haven't done any on/off comparisons,though. I figure if it helps, then that's great. If not, you can work on it later if shooting NEF.

The way long exposure NR works is this: you take a shot, say 3 sec. at f8. As soon as the exposure is finished, the camera takes a second exposure of the same length with the shutter closed. It then subtracts that image from the original, reducing hot pixels and the change in colors etc that comes from sensor warming.

The major sacrifice is that the camera is unusable for the same length as the exposure, which can be an issue, especially with exposures over a minute long.

As to it's effectiveness, I've only used it a few times myself but it's worked well. I don't have any side by side comparisons of on and off, so I can't give you a good judgment.

Long exposures on the D70 is excellent. The limit is 30 minutes, but as Scott said you have to wait another 30 minutes before you can use the camera again.<p>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/5614972&size=lg" >Here</a> is a shot with a 20 minute exposure.<p>

You can get great results with say a 35mm AIS f2 lens since the IQ is best at around f4 which means you spend only 1/4 of the time as that for f8. In any case the D70 can't do 80 minutes.<p>

Incidentally, the 3 blue streaks is the Orion Belt.