D610 shut down while filming, video clip corrupted on sd card

francesco_palombi

<p>Please, </p>

<p>I really need some help. <br>

While filming a video with a Nikon D610, the battery went off and the camera shut down.</p>

<p>Now the video file cannot be downloaded, but it can be played in the camera.</p>

<p>It's on a SD Extreme pro 16gb.</p>

<p>I really need some help, it's very important footage and I'm quite panicking. </p>

<p>What can I do?</p>

<p>Thanks to everyone</p>

<p>F.</p>

<p>I recently shot video at a wedding and had one file that was not readable by my computer but, like you, it would play back in the camera. I was finally able to recover it. Since yours will play back, you should be able to recover it, but it may take some work.</p>

<p>If you have a recording device that can connect to you camera through the HDMI cable, you can play back the video from the camera and record it in HD to the external device. This may be the easiest way to recover the file.</p>

<p><br /> How are you trying to download it to your computer, direct from the camera or with a card reader?</p>

<p><br /> If you are trying to download it to a PC try downloading it on a MAC or if you are trying to download it to a MAC, try a PC.</p>

<p><br /> Does the file show up when you put the memory card in your computer's card reader?</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How are you trying to download it to your computer, direct from the camera or with a card reader?<br /><br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Definately need to know this one! If the camera can play it, ie via it's own card-reader, then it should be able to output it via USB cable.<br>

<br>

SD Extreme pro cards come with Sandisk's own Recovery Pro don't they?</p>

<p>Guys thanks so much.<br>

I really don't understand why, but I tried to download it on a different and better computer and it worked out. :) <br>

I was trying directly from the camera. <br>

I'm glad this is solved, I still don't really understand why it worked out on the other computer. </p>

<p>Thanks again anyway, have a good day</p>

<p>F.</p>

<p>well thats awesome to hear.<br>

i was googeling about recovery software since i got nothing to do right now.<br>

did not find anything usefull though.<br>

great it worked.<br>

good luck for the future.</p>

<p>cheers</p>

<p>i hate sd cards !</p>

<p>It sounds like since video recording was interrupted abruptly, the video file format wasn't quite correct, with no end of file type info. Some more robust editing software can handle such situations while some can't.</p>

<p>I talked to my wife about this over dinner. She shoots a lot more video than I do, and she had the same suggestion as Elliot. Since the video file plays on the camera, you can always output it via the HDMI jack and re-capture it from an external device, which will provide a proper end to the new video file. But I am glad that it didn't even need that solution.</p>

<p>Sometimes only the last few frames are corrupted, causing the software to crash. The file may work if you trim the end. A professional video camera (or audio recorder) keeps the file header updated, so you never (so far) lose more than a second or two at the end. These recorders usually have a reserve capacity, sufficient to close files properly in the event of a power loss.</p>

<p>An HDMI recorder should probably be on your short list. Some cameras require an external recorder to capture the highest resolution video stream. An example would be the Sony A7s, for 4K, 200 MHz video. If you buy a recorder, make sure it doesn't have built-in copy protection. That will step on second generation copies of your own work, not just commercial recordings.</p>