D60 AF speed in low light

louis_chaousis

The faster the lens, the more light gets to the sensors, the better the AF. Many Canon bodies AF better with lenses f/2.8 or faster. But a better lens won't work miracles... an external flash with AF-assist lights will make a big difference.

In theory, yes. It will focus faster. Although, is that it all depends on the lens. For example, I have a 50 1.4. So you would think that AF speed would be good, right. NOT! The 1.4's USM motor is slow, so any benefit gained by the 1.4 apeture, is lost with the crappy AF. I also had a 20mm 2.8 lens that wasn't as fast focusing as my new 17-40L. As a rule the D60's AF speed diminishes pretty badly in low light, no matter what lens you are using.

John

The D60 can hunt around a bit in low light situations - especially if there aren't any high contrast areas for it to latch on to i.e. if the subject / background is an even tone. That's what I've found out with mine, and all my lenses (apart from my 100-400L) are f2.8 or faster.

One thing that does improve D60 focusing noticeably in low light is attaching a speedlite, so that you switch from the white light focus assist to the near infra-red on the flashgun. If you don't want the flash to fire while still providing focus assist, you can turn it off using the custom functions.

In low light, AF speed is more or less the same with all my "ring type" USM lenses, which are generally better than the 50 f1.8 and cheap micro motor AF system. AF assist of a speedlight is very helpful, and turning off the built in AF assist (a.k.a. "white light from hell") actually improves low light AF reliablity when you don't have a flash attached.