D5100 battery stuck

nick_baker

<p>Dear Photo.Net</p>

<p>We just put a new battery (Nikon OEM) into my wife's D5100. After she downloaded some photos onto her lap top, we tried to take the battery out. The battery will not move and the camera will no longer turn on. No force was applied whatsoever. Any advice?<br>

PS leaving for an overseas trip tomorrow, service call not an option in the time available.</p>

<p>Answered.<br>

1) this was not a Nikon battery, although it had been sold as such;<br>

2) it can only be removed from the camera using a knife or sharp object. I've done this several times and am confident it is not a problem with misinsertion;<br>

3) the battery must have been completely discharged, it does seem to power the camera when recharged.<br>

Be warned - not every eb*y seller advertising original Nikon batteries is actually selling them. Check the photos and items carefully</p>

<p>Nick, Thanks for the refresher course in what to avoid. We Nikon owners, D5100 specifically, and likely any DSLR owner of any brand for that matter, would be wise to heed the warning in your experience in dealing with 3rd party parts. Often the savings are short term, the aggravation likely long term. My personal philosophy (especially after your experience) is to stay with the brand where at all possible. Best, LM.</p>

<p>2) it can only be removed from the camera using a knife or sharp object. I've<strong> done this several times</strong> and am confident it is not a problem with misinsertion;</p>

<p>Are you saying that, after getting it out with a knife, you put it back in again and again? You are braver than me.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Are you saying that, after getting it out with a knife, you put it back in again and again? You are braver than me.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>yes I did. The knife point was used to grip the battery, no leverage on the body, of course.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nick, Thanks for the refresher course in what to avoid. We Nikon owners, D5100 specifically, and likely any DSLR owner of any brand for that matter, would be wise to heed the warning in your experience in dealing with 3rd party parts. Often the savings are short term, the aggravation likely long term. My personal philosophy (especially after your experience) is to stay with the brand where at all possible. Best, LM.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The annoying thing is that I <em>particularly</em> sought a Nikon OEM battery and purchased what was advertised as just that. I put it in the camera without paying close attention.</p>