D5000 vs D60

aj_thorn

<p>Good Morning Everyone!<br>

I am new to the dslr world. Ive mainly shot film on an early 70's Nikon (which I freaking love!!!) but now I feel its time to get with the times. (I also had access to a photo lab where I could devolpe and print my own pictures in their dark room, but no more... :*(<br>

I want to stick w/ Nikon because it's what Ive always known. The lenses I have for my current Nikon are nothing special and should not be considered in your advice on which camera I should go with.<br>

I am looking at the D60 and the D5000. I like the D90 but I think it will be too much $$ as I also need to pick up things like a tripod, bag, SD cards, etc. I want to stay around $1000 when its all said and done.<br>

I usualy shot landscape but I also like to shot pics in the city or when Im out w/ friends, but have mainly used a point and shot in the past.<br>

So I am here asking for advice, thoughts, comments between the two cameras (or even another camera I havent even though of!). Also if you could recomend good places to find good deals, it would be helpful!<br>

Thanks in advance!!!</p>

<p>I would lean toward the D5000, it has all the latest technology. I believe it has the D90 image sensor. I am getting it for my wife. I messed around with it at the camera store and found it to be pretty nice camera. I think the swivel screen will make getting some interesting angle to your shots possible. Plus video would be nice for those moments when you don't have your video camera. </p>

<p>Between the two? Hmm probably D5k, just because of the sensor tech. That said, consider the D90. In the long run, the AF drive and other features may be critical. I've only used the D40x, and honestly I think it's a great camera, but I did outgrow it quite fast.<br>

Alvin</p>

<p>Yesterday someone asked me for a recommendation on a camera with stop-action capability. I confirmed the D60 had this capability and checked prices for the person asking about it. The D60 is cheaper. I also outgrew a D40X, but think this price point is a very good place to start out when you aren't sure if you'll catch the bug for this kind of hobby. If you do, great- I can think of worse things to suffer from than NAS.</p>

<p>D5000's are going for about $850 w/ a lens. D90's are going for about $1200 w/ a better lens. D60's are going for around $550 w/ one lens. </p>

<p>My personal opinion is if you have the $ to get a D5000...then get a D60 w/ two lenses. The lenses will make more of a difference in your photography then the D5000 ever will. A tripod and Flash would also be something to consider. If you have $1K to spend on camera equipment then with out a doubt your best option would be a D60, a couple lenses, and a tripod. The quality of your photography will surpass anyone using a D5000 w/ that 18-50mm kit lens.<br>

I would never buy a D5000 for the simple fact that it can only use AF-S lenses. So I'd spend the extra $ on a D90 over a D5000. Not to mention the D90 has a better Hi Res LCD screen and a 2nd LCD on the top of the camera. (Features that I reall appreciate) To me the D5000 is a consumer camera w/ a bunch of gimmiks to attract the "techy" If Video is really important to you, then yea the D5000 is a good option. If photography is important to you then get the D60 and some quality lenses. <br>

If your budget is closer to $2K then get the D90 kit w/ a second lens.</p>

<p>Just from the specs alone, the d5k has the upper hand in quite a few areas. 12mp vs 10mp, has 11 point AF system with 3d tracking vs 3 point, 4 fps vs 3 fps, HD video, one button Live view, ISO up to 3200 vs 1600, as well as many other in camera custom settings. And a slightly larger screen 2.7 inches vs 2.5 inches. I would be willing to bet good money that the d5k also has better noise control and image quality. I also forgot the swivle screen which will likely become a standand feature on all DSLRs in the future.</p>

<p>As for where you should buy your camera..... Go to a local camera shop. Make sure they are an authorized Nikon dealer and buy it there. You might spend another $25-50 on that camera at a local store but you'll think nothing of that extra $ if anything goes wrong w/ your camera or you need a little personal assistance on any of the equipment. (like how to use all the features or what ever)</p>

<p>If everyone buys on line - then the local shops will go away..... then good luck being able to find a place were you can actually touch the camera you are thinking of buying. <br>

The big box stores offer ZERO service and if anything goes wrong w/ your camera after the 14 day return policy good luck. That's why I support local guys as much as I can. Plus the $ stays in your community which these days means something to everyone. </p>

<p>I'll use B&H from time to time if I'm looking for something that's hard to find or the local guy can't get. I'd say B&H is the best online dealer. I hear adorama is pretty good to. Don't forget the used market either. Ive bought some great used lenses using EBAY.</p>

<p>I would agree that the lenses play a huge role in the quality of the pictures, but for the price range difference we are talking about here they won't make that much difference. I would rather have a better body with one cheap lens than a lower quality body and 2 cheap lenses.</p>

<p>There are plenty of "cheap" lenses that will blow away any kit lens. <br>

for example:<br>

50mm 1.4<br>

35mm 1.8<br>

17-50mm 2.8 Tamron<br>

10-20mm Sigma<br>

I'm sure the people here could list dozens of GREAT lens options for under $500.</p>

<p>You could probably list 50 different lens options</p>

<p>The most common kit lenses sold with these cameras are the 18-55, 55-200 VR, and 18-105 VR. Those are all very good lenses. The former two along with a 35/1.8 would make an excellent starter kit for only a few hundred bucks. At that point start adding flash and filters rather than more expensive lenses, IMO.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The 18-55 kit lens is optically pretty good. Given the price difference with the kit lens is about 250.00 that won't buy a lens that will wow you over the kit lens. Will it buy a better lens? Yes, but not enough to make a huge difference in images. I don't disagree with you at all on the lenses you listed. They are great lenses for the money. I just think given the price constraints I would spend the little extra on the body since that will give you more to work with in the future. You can always add more lenses later, you can't however add the features you left behind when you bought the lower level body. This is just my opinion.</p>

<p>Chad, have you used a D5000?<br>

You seem to be pretty dead set against it in favor of a camera that doesn't have the benefit of the D90 sensor, more advanced metering, better autofocus, faster burst mode and all of the other advances that come with 3-4 years of technological advances in the camera industry.<br>

I have a D5000 and I like it a a lot. I moved from an F5 and P&S digitals to the D5000 and from my perspective there are two things the D90 does that the D5000 doesn't. The first is that the D5000 does not have the screw drive for old mechanical AF lenses. The other is that the camera does not have CLS (flash) commander mode.<br>

Having some of those older screw drive mechanical AF lenses, the kit AF-S DX 18-55 VR ED lens compares favorably to most of the lenses that I have, many of which cost more than the D5000 camera. Lens technology has improved to the point where midrange lenses of today equal or exceed high range lenses of yesteryear, and entry level lenses blow the old entry and midrange lenses away. The only way I can think that people like the old lenses more on DX cameras is that the DX sensor is smaller and vignetting and optical defects that seemed to cluster around the edges are cropped in camera due to the smaller sensor size compared to a 35mm/FX frame.<br>

The issue with the CLS commander mode will most likely be a larger problem as a photographer progresses because it requires the addition of a 'master' capable flash or a 'master' device like a radiopopper or Pocket Wizard (when they come out).<br>

-TM-</p>

<p>The D5000 seems a bit pointless to me, for somebody who's used to using a film SLR. Okay, it's got a better sensor than a D60 but the video mode isn't very good and the flippy screen is a gimmick for consumers. The body construction is no better and it has the D60's greatest flaw (no focus motor), and the crappy mirror viewfinder. Compared to a D90, the D90 has a better finder and an AF motor, and much better controls.</p>

<p>The D5000 is a little bit better than a D60. The D90 is a lot better than the D5000.</p>

<p>The D5000 is a lot more expensive than the D60, relatively speaking, and not a lot cheaper than the D90. The D5000 body is $730, the D90 is just under $900. Refurb and demo D90's are about $750. New D60 kits with lens are $550. I've used all three cameras. The D5000 at its current price does not make sense for an experienced SLR user, when the D60 is a much better value and the D90 is a much better camera.</p>

<p>I think the D5000 is essentially better than the D60 in every single way there is. (aside from being slightly bigger and heavier) The D5000 possess the new generation sensor/processing technology similar to what the D90 and D300 offer. The D90 is a more versatile and well-equipped camera; while the D5000 is more or less a minimalist alternative to it. </p>

<p>Right now might not be a good time to purchase the D5000. The prices of lower end bodies could come down dramatically sometime after their introduction. For example, the D40, when first introduced was priced at $600. But by December 2008, it was being sold for $410. It's likely that in a few months or so the D5000's price's going to come down to about $600 or so. </p>

<p>I've used the D5000, the D60, and the D90. I'm very familiar with every Nikon camera on the market right now. I own a D300. The D5000 is a better camera then the D60. I agree with that. I think the question is "how much better?" <br>

The original poster said he has about $1K to spend and he needs a tripod and other accessories. </p>

<p>Photographer A spends $1K on a D5000 kit. That leaves him enough left over to buy a very very cheap tripod and no other accessories or lenses. Since after tax you'll be close to $900....thus leaving you w/ about $100 for your cheap tripod.</p>

<p>Photographer B spends 1K on a D60 kit. He buys a 2nd lens and a pretty nice tripod....and maybe a photography class? </p>

<p>Who's going to produce better pictures? (assuming both photographers are of equal skill level) My $ is on photographer B. The image quality vs the two cameras (using the same lens) is very very close. Yea the D5000 may beat out the D60 in ISO performance and it may have a better AF system. But with out a zoom lens good luck trying to take pictures of anything that isn't with in 20 yards of you. Maybe you want to do natural / low light photography? Good luck doing that w/ a 18-50mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens. $200-300 could get you a very fast prime lens that is sharper then that kit lens. Try getting very shallow DOF w/ a kit lens. there is a difference between 1.8 and 5.6 when shooting at 50mm. A big difference.<br>

Camera bodies are like computers....they go out dated in a short time. You can keep those lenses you buy and use them on future camera bodies. The lenses hold their value, the bodies don't. Give me a D3X w/ an 18-55mm kit lens and I'll go insane because I can't take the pictures I want because I don't have the glass I need. I'll go plenty mad when I see some guy using a D40 w/ more lens options taking better pictures. <br>

When on a budget you have to consider these things. Its like buying an SUV when you can't afford to put gas in it. A Honda Fit will get you were you want to go and at half the cost. With the savings get a kick !@# stereo system, GPS, and some really sweet rims!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The D5000 is a great entrance to the DSLR realm. The D60 is a fine camera, but the D5000 is the latest tehcnology, and produces very nice images. The metering is superb. The swivel LCD screen lets you capture images from unusual camera points of view. You will not be disappointed with the D5000. Try one!</p>