D500 Message "Auto AF Fine Tune Is Not Available At Current Focus Settings"

Mike D

<p>Thanks Edward. I also did some additional research and found out that not only does the D500 have to be on single point auto focus (as the directions say in regular print) but also on AF-S. It can't be on AF-C or it won't work.<br>

<br>

It was also recommended that I perform the test a dozen times and use the median value.</p>

<p>I saw that but I only intend to use the D500 with a Nikon 80-400 and Sigma 150-600 S so I will almost never shoot at infinity. I was also thinking that since the D500 is a sports camera requiring continuous focusing, it's strange that you can't AF fine tune in AF-C. I would never have thought that AF-S was required to fine tune. I can live with that though. I generally shoot at infinity with a wide angle on my D810. Strategically, this is an advantage of carrying several combos (bodies and lenses together) instead of an individual body with an assortment of lenses. </p>

<p>Auto AF fine tuning with AFS makes complete sense to me. You (the camera) needs to lock in on one object at one distance to work. Think of AFC as constantly changing location/distance ; If AFS is calibrated, then AFC will be too.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Auto AF fine tuning with AFS makes complete sense to me. You (the camera) needs to lock in on one object at one distance to work. Think of AFC as constantly changing location/distance ; If AFS is calibrated, then AFC will be too.<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Exactly right. </p>

• 2 weeks later...

I have just got the Nikon D500 and wanted to try out the AF fine tune on my main lens a new 80-400mm vrii lens. Even after setting the

live view to single center focus point and setting it to Af s it still gives me the message saying AF fine tune does not work with current

settings. Clearly there is something else going on. Any ideas?

<p>Mac ... Since I had the same problem, I did an extensive search and found a detailed discussion on another site that solved my issue. I don't know your issue but I have included the following link to that discussion. Hopefully that will be OK with the moderator. I didn't want to cut and paste the discussion in case of copyright issues.<br>

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3996435#forum-post-57667487</p>

<p>Michael, posting a link to DPReview such that those who would like to read it can go to their web site is the best approach. DPReview have pretty strict copyright policies (whether they can enforce such policies is another matter). And Marianne Oelund typically knows what she is talking about.</p>