Cuba 2009

winterlight

<p>Hello all, I realize Cuba is a very much-spoken of destination in terms of photography, but also that it is a rapidly changing country nowadays. I will be leaving for a 3 weeks trip in next July. I am planning to stay 3 to 4 days in Havana, then drive to the West (Vinales region) and after that continue to the East, probably as far as Santiago to catch some of the Carnival overthere in late July. I would be very grateful for any up to date tip or recommendation about true and authentic places (Havana but especially out of Havana) to visit and photograph, as well of adresses that would make a difference. Which cities/places beside Havana should I concentrate on ? Thanks so much.</p>

<p>In spite of its horrible reputation in recent years, Guantanamo Naval Base, for many years provided jobs for hundreds of local Cubans from the surrounding area and was a major factor in the local economy due to its size and activity. Not sure if it is available for visiting, but just a thought.</p>

<p>It will be very hot when you visit. I hope you're comfortable with that. Take a decent medical kit, including the types of antibiotics best suited to tummy trouble (eg Ciprofloxacin). Standards of hygiene have deteriorated in Cuba in recent years and basics like rubbish collection are not what they were. </p>

<p>Where to go? Well Trindad, Cienfuegos, Sancti Spiritus, and Remedios in the centre of the country are all decent destinations for colourful vernacular architecture and colonial stuff. Trinidad's worth a couple of days or so, the rest day trips or an overnight. All of these places are touristed to some degree, often by bus on day trips so early mornings and late in the day even the centres of these places are pretty quiet. In Havana, don't imagine that the northern part of Habana Viejo is an unchanged tourist-free experience. For that you need to get into Centro and further south and west, or the southern half of Habana Viejo. Prado and Malecon are not what they were, photographically, but still worth a visit. </p><div>00TRwL-137347684.jpg.2a82c763b1282cb888b5bf49a2b7b180.jpg</div>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>A rental car is nice way to travel although the main highway through the center of the country is remarkably unscenic for the most part. I have a folder in my portfolio from a trip two years ago. Each photo is labelled as to location. Have fun though it would be more fun in January rather than July!</p>

• 9 months later...