crisis of the real

limor_mazor

I can't see how anyone would question that photograph has changed how we view the world. However, I don't think postmodern photography has anything to do with that, since it is seen primarily by art-aware people and that's a bit selective for world-view-changing.

It's a good book, worth reading just to get a grip on the postmodern, and Grundberg is an excellent writer, even if I find myself in disagreement on a fair amount of his judgements.

• 1 month later...

Jeff wrote<p>

<i>It's a good book, worth reading just to get a grip on the postmodern, and Grundberg is an excellent writer, even if I find myself in disagreement on a fair amount of his judgements.</i><p>

I'm shocked! :)<p>

Any thoughts on "Veronica's Revenge"?<p>

I should be receiving this reportedly controversial book in a few days.<p>

"Crisis of the Real" and "Veronica's Revenge" should be arriving come this Thursday. Looking forward to their arrival.

As to the changing the way we view the world, there's no doubt. Images since Vietnam, filling the newspapers, changed the course of history; not intending to leave Matthew Brady out of the conversation. Images coming out of Bosnia, affected world opinion and forced the US to get involved cause nobody else could or wanted to. Photographs were paramount in the Civil Rights issues of the late 50's & early 60's. And we can't forget images of James Dean or Marilyn Monroe. The list is almost endless as to how photographic images have changed the way we view the world.

As to how we view the world, of course photographs have made a difference. Images from far off exotic places, that are home to billions are shared in National Geographic. Sports Illustrated, Swimsuit issue anybody. How about Hugh Heftner and Playboy? From swaying public opinion, to the toppling of governments, to changing of social values, to entertainment and information or education. I'd have to agree with your comment attributed to Andy Grundberg which claims that photography has changed the way we view the world.

In a few days I'll be able to read this book you mention:)

• 1 month later...
I'm a 3rd yr Photo Student at Nottingham Trent and I had to read Crisis of the Real as one of my Seminar texts lat semester. I found it really interesting and it is one of the only texts that I found interesting enough to read more than once. I am now starting my dissertation and I want to continue along the same line, talking about the artist/photographer Helen Chadwick, her influence on today's artist and what influence she will have on tomorrow's art world. I want to ask the questions 'What is next for art? What comes after postmodernism?' Any thoughts?

Sophie wrote<p>

<i>I want to ask the questions 'What is next for art? What comes after postmodernism?' Any thoughts?</i><p>

You might want to rephrase your question as there's a difference between what's next for art as opposed to what's next for photographic art.<p>

Assuming your question deals in what's next with photographic art, it's all up to the photographer and what they want to do with what they read. Have you read the essays in "Veronica's Revenge"?<p>

A question; do you get and understand what Postmodern photographic art is about? It's one thing to read about it and say, I've read about it as opposed to reading and understanding; to the point of incorporating the think into your photographic efforts.<p>

<a href ="http://www.photo.net/photo/2489414">Postmodern Photograph #1</a><p>

Myself, I see a dicotomy that's developed in the photographic art world between pictorial art and content driven photographic art. Coming from the "West Coast School of Grand Landscapes" and not having much if any respect for Postmodern photographic art, I've spent the last eight months learning about Postmodern photographic think. It's one thing to decry that what you don't like in ignorance, easy, or take the time to understand and create within and then decry, hard.<p>

My goal is to blend the two photographic philosophies together where one has content laden imaging with consideration given to asthetics. But this winter I'll take time to hopefully create Postmodern images which will have a Conservative's critique at the core of the effort. I'm terming this effort "NeoPostmodern" as opposed to some who term it "PostPostmodern". You can term your efforts anything you like:)<p>

There is one problem associated with this sort of Postmodern photographic effort, one develops a relationship with the image and the image making process as opposed to the act of mindlessly grabbing beautiful images to present before the public as in, "Wow!" "That's pretty." It's about content, deconstruction of the sacred and photographically voicing your views.<p>

In the final, you have to decide what you want photography to be for you and that will be the new direction which photographic art will take.<p>

<a href ="http://www.photo.net/photo/2531354">You Decide</a><p>

Wishing you the best with all your photographic efforts as I hope my above is found helpful.<p>