Creating an E-Commerce Website

<p>i'm starting a portraiture/children's photo business. as part of my launch strategy, i am going to set up at a local event and invite families to have their photo taken in front of a portable backdrop. i'd like to be able to send the families to a site where the photos will be available for a low-low introductory-rate (cue tom waits' "step right up").<br>

can anyone recommend a service i can use that will allow me to upload what could be a few hundred photos? the catch is - i want to create a system that's simple for people to navigate - i don't want anyone to have to sift through 300 pictures to find themselves. i want to collect email addresses, then send a link not just to the site but to their own individual photos.<br>

any thoughts on how to do this?<br>

thanks.</p>

<p>p/s - if you're familiar with Brightroom even photographs, it's basically the same thing, only i'd be doing the process as an individual and not outsourcing to them.</p>

<p>Zenfolio offer what you seek. I don't use SM, but I would guess they are quite similar.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>i don't want anyone to have to sift through 300 pictures to find themselves.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Cataloging many people will still be your responsibility.<br>

With zenfolio, you upload the images to a specific folder YOU select.</p>

<p>For instance, there would be a folder for "THE A Family"..Another folder for "John & Carol M" etc..etc...</p>

<p><strong>Small word of caution</strong>: If you offer certain size enlargements, watch out for aspect ratio mismatch. Although both services offer cropping guides prior to the order, they are a bit of a pain to use. Even worse, your customer may not be aware of the cropping guides; so when they receive their 8x10 they are shocked.</p>

<p>Zenfolio and perhaps SM as well offers a "Approve all orders" before going to the lab.<br>

I prefer this compared to letting the customer attempt to create their own print order.</p>

<p>If Marathon Press hosts your website, you can post the images there for FREE. You just pay a one time set-up (less than $100) and you can post. Each family can have their own page with a password. Simple and easy. Also, if they host your site, you'll receive discounts on their other services and products.....-TED :-)</p>