this situation." Etc.

Does anyone have a comparison of what a scene looks like (preferable

the same scene) when taken with film that is "contrasty" vs. film

that is not?

Thanks!

David.

"If one has a non-coated lens, will using a contrasty film help?"<br>

<br>

Yes, at least a little. With my Canon 75-300mm telezoom, contrast, sharpness and saturation are pretty weak at the long end. If I scan it, there are even no blacks and whites by far. A contrasty film would for example make the darker tones darker and counteract the lack of contrast. Using Velvia with soft contrast lenses may actually result in fairly natural looking images, that would have been over the top using prime lenses....

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the responses. But can we get back to my original question? I had asked...

"Does anyone have a comparison of what a scene looks like (preferable the same scene) when taken with film that is "contrasty" vs. film that is not?"

Some how someone asked a question in MY question and it got lost. So here goes again.

Thanks.

David.

Sorry I don't have an example to share. However, look at a picture on your computer monitor or TV, then adjust the contrast. A good picture would be of a bride in a white wedding dress and a groom in a dark suit or tuxedo. You will learn what high contrast and low contrast look like on a photo. Pay attention to the detail in the darker areas of the image, such a brown hair losing detail with high contrast (blocked shadows). Next look at the highlight areas, such a white fabric on a wedding dress, which will lose detail with high contrast (blown highlights). Finally, see if you can find a setting on your monitor which will preserve the detail in the wedding dress fabric, while also giving detail in the dark areas (suit buttons, lapel, or dark hair).