Contaflex Clan

Among the classic cameras, I have a beginning acquaintance with the

Contaflexes. I used a Contaflex II until the shutter jammed; and

now I have a Contaflex IV. The II is the better camera for my

purposes, simply because it is easier to focus. They both have that

lovely 2.8 Zeiss Tessar. Fairly low contrast and subtle color, and

creamy smooth. The II dates from about 1952, and the IV came along

about 1957. Can anyone confirm those dates?

Here attached is a picture I took with the IV just a few months

ago. Window light, and a touch of tungsten coming from the boy's

right. The film was the inexpensive Fujicolor you get at a

drugstore.<div>005tvS-14303684.jpg.dcddb9127cfaff7cc522d50daeb1eaf3.jpg</div>

well, you will have to use that link and click on CAMERAS and then look down the right side to find the Zeiss Ikon link and then find the Contaflex link and off to bed I go. Regards, Bill not very smart but persistent sometimes.

i liked the conteflex ( concept) with the 1-500 shutter and i was not worried that the lens was only to f/2.8

i looked at contaflexes, voitlanded bessaflex and the kodak retina reflex. even the dejour dekon . but eventually, i stuck with

rf cameras. at that point in time, fp shutter slr's like the exackta and the pentacon ( i used one labled a Hexacon) were slower to use and didn't have the better flash synch

i came close , almost putting my hand in my rear pocket.

I did hear later in Modern Photography that the contaflexes with the

pantar lenses were "only fit to make 2 x 3 prints".

I was afraid of the complexity of the bessaflex( was that the name of the voightlander al;most copy of the kodak rr?) and kodak retina.

and again, M.P. warned folks that the BEHIND-the -lens shutter was not the best way to go. this didn't apply to the fixed lens cameras.

I would still like to get my hands on a nice model of this type

( and it would be over 18, too)

the complexity of these cameras is a cautionary note to buying one. apparently they are very difficult to repair. As for the lens, the later Pro-Tessar is reputed to be very good. I have been struck by how well photos turn out. I will be posting some soon and will make up a presentation of these Contaflex photos. I believe the Voigtlander Bessamatic is the comparable camera to the Contaflex.

The contaflex (a III) introduced me to classic photography three years ago and Zeiss Quality. The Tessar lens in these cameras is wonderful and allows enlargement up to 8x10 without any problem and will probably go to 11x14 with fine grain film and a tripod.

It is a wonderful but is an awfully complex camera, the shutter mechanism is similar to the Hasselblad C. Mine has gone bad and is not economically fixable. But then $60 should get you another working camera..

I used a Contaflex camera long time ago in Beijing. It was the model

with a front element focusing Tessar, and a push button to open door selenium meter , it was a smooth performer, I recalled, however the

film winding/shutter tensioning knob was so hard to turn<p>

And the shutter failed once, I took apart the Synchro Compur shutter

replace a broken spring and fixed the camera myself<p>

Ten years ago I bought back a Contaflex Super B as souvenir. Contaflex Super B has an recomputed unit focusing Tessar lens,

automatic exposure through selenium meter, the Tessar is sharper than

the one on Contaflex I.<p>

Contaflex Super B has a beautifully made burgandy leather case with

chrome trimming, the snout was heat formed and not seemless, no one

makes camera case that well anymore.<p>

I use a set of Zeiss Ikon Proxar lenses for close up, and

a Zeiss 8x30 monocular for telephoto, attached to the front of

Tessar.

Speaking of Contaxes. My brother got a Contax IIpost war from his grandfather. The camera got lost in the middle of a field in his farm (30 years ago) and stood there for 3 years. That means more than 6 big harvesting machines going over it. It wasnt repaired.

My brother got it and started using it. The Planar had big fungus inside. He gave me the lens, I opened it and cleaned it. The only thing that doesn´t work is the slow shutter speeds. He still uses the camera and gets those blown higlights and big flares.

Here is a picture of him with the camera: http://www.photo.net/photo/1605607

After seeing the camera and using it... I want one!!!! Contax rules!! (over leica ;-) )