contacting canon rebate center

roy_zoellner

I have read in other post that people have called the canon rebate center. What is that number. I sent in a

rebate claim for a 5D and 17-40 last december and now the website is saying they are processing, but an

error saying invalid UPC (bull crapola). The fight is on... for 700 bucks...

wish me luck,

roy

I had the same problem and they would only send me a check for a single item (I submitted two UPCs to be eligible for the double rebate)For the other item the website stated invalid UPC was submitted which was obviously BS.

I called them and told them I submitted all the right materials and that I have copies of all of them (I also shot a video of putting them all in an envelope and sealing it in anticipation of problems - did not mention it though)

Suddenly the guy's reply was that all is OK and they will mail me a second check for the missing amount. They did shortly thereafter.

Seems like they want to rip you off if you decide not to call them and fight for it.

I have noted that several states either already have - or at least are considering - imposing a requirement that rebates be granted at the point of purchase, leaving the retailer with the onus of making the claim from the manufacturer. Not only is that a much fairer system for consumers, it also ought to be much more efficient and less costly to implement, albeit that a system that guarantees that the consumer receives the rebate may mean that the amount of rebate offered is less than where a significant proportion of rebate denials or failures to claim dilute the average payout.

It is quite notable that these problems seem peculiar to the US - rebates in the EU when offered are granted without fuss - presumably because EU consumer law is much more effective in protecting the consumer interest and preventing the kind of behaviour that is so prevalent among rebate fulfillment companies in the US.

I had a problem also, mine went from waiting on mailed claim (4 wks.) then bounced to approval & mailing, then completly vanished. I called OK Canon 2-3 wks. later and they were going to check it out, then after no happenings (2 wks.) I called a second time they couldn't find it in the system! I had to FAX them all copies of the documents and pictures of the 5D box with the bar code cut out, got the check 2-3 wks. later. Makes me wonder if Pargo should rhyme with Wells Fargo.

Since then I purchased a 24-105L lens for the double rebate, but before I sent it in I took pictures of the box & bar code before & after cut out.

I am now wondering if small claims court might handle something like this, if they don't come through as advertised. Think so? I have the time if they do.

JoeR

Just called the number. Here's the background: I did the internet submission for two lenses prior to Christmas and thereafter I physically sent my Canon rebates in USPS Priority Mail on 12/28/2006. My USPS delivery confirmation indicates acceptance in El Paso, Texas on 1/8/2007. (That amount of time seems a bit odd in and of itself for Priority Mail.) Anyway the Canon rebate site still shows the Rebate Center as waiting for my "Mail Submission".

Today 'Erin' at the rebate number said that my information is still not in the system and that if there is no change, I should call back in two weeks... Yes I will.

• 1 month later...

Getting a rebate is not trivial when the check will be for $720. I followed the procedures to the letter, and took pictures of exactly what went in the envelope. I sent it USPS but with confirmation of delivery (and insured for $720). The delivery confirmation was received a few weeks ago. Today I received a postcard saying "Unfortunately your rebate was declined for the following reason(s): "An original qualifying UPC was not included." I had sent three original UPC codes (3 products purchased), and have the pictures to prove it. So I called the telephone number on the post card (877) 862 6870, and calmly explained all this, and was asked "Are you sure you didn't write "copy" on the UPC code?" I said "Absolutely not - for all three products it was the original cardboard UPC code, cut from the box." A minute or so later the customer service person came back on the line and said everything was fine, and a check for $720 would be arriving in about three weeks (around 5:15pm EDT, agent #3755, name is Andrea). I checked on-line and it appears that I've cleared stage two of the process.

I don't think I want to speculate as to what is happening here, but if this is typical, then the pattern is suspicious. But, I'm glad I took pictures of everything I submitted, including the envelope as addressed, and the slip from the PO after the mailing. If Canon Corporate is trying to improve how all this works (one would certainly think that they would want the rebate process to work smoothly), and wants to dig into this, I'll be happy to show them.

Quite similar if not the same I had recently with Sandisk $20 rebate:

1) Rejected due to UPC not submitted 2) I called to the center and said I have copy of everything 3) I received the check

I think: a) Canon or whatever brand is not so important b) This way how rebate company(ies) works: hoping that we did not make a copy or too lazy to call them