Constantine "Costa" Manos workshop

asher

<p>It's been a while since I've posted or even visited here, but I thought I would share a recent wonderful workshop experience I had with Costa Manos (lifetime Leica photographer, and awarded the Leica Medal of Excellence in 2003, hence the Leica content). The workshop was entitled "<em>Making the ordinary extraordinary</em>".<br /> <br /> The workshop was a weekend event at the Center for Photography at Woodstock. Nice group of people (participants and staff), most/all were easy going and interested in learning. Beautiful weather for our afternoon of shooting out around town with Costa.</p>

<p>Costa shared many memorable thoughts, quotes, and philosophies, e.g. don't get "suckered by the exotic", the most important part of the frame is ALL OF IT, avoid tunnel vision... Also, whenever he saw a photo that was rather ordinary (i.e. if someone else came along after, they could make the same photo), he would say, "yeah, that's what it looks like" (momentary silence). <br /><br /> We did talk gear a bit, and when he saw that I was using an M8 he was very emphatic that it is an unfairly maligned camera, and he promptly pointed out several photographs in American Color 2 for which he used an M8. Not surprisingly, I could not distinguish which photos were made with film M's vs. M8/M9, let alone M8 vs. M9.</p>

<p>All in all a delightful weekend. I'm glad I got to meet him and learn from him. I think this might have been one of his last workshops, but hopefully not. If he offers it again next year, I highly recommend attending.</p>

<p>I purchased 2 of his books which he signed: A Greek Portfolio, and American Color 2.</p>

<p>Below is a photo taken by one of the workshop staff (Alex). Costa is in the middle (standing on the street, he's not that short...), I am on the left, and another workshop staffer named Schuyler is on the right.</p><div>00avaj-499727784.jpeg.ce73806e44ed7f9e384f5cabf4b07ae6.jpeg</div>

<p>i was lucky to meet him in Toronto, when he was part of the Magnum group doing workshops. I attended the showing of work by the students, his lectures and went to see his exhibition. A pilgrimage for me, "Greek Portfolio" was more by me, than on library shelf..<br>

Mr Manos's color work more than what's there! Look at how he matches colors and shades plus shapes.<br>

Stupendous work and the new scans of older work simply inspiring. Hopefully do many more workshops and lots more images..</p>