Concert Photography

<p>I'm hoping someone can help me with some advice and information. First of all, I am not a professional photographer. I know that might limit the response I get but I don't want to pretend I am something I'm not. Here's my question. I've been approached by a local concert venue to photograph their shows for them. It's a mid-sized venue (5k) in a small market. They're interested in pricing and I have no idea what to charge or what kind of standard agreement there is for this. Normally they're only posting 5-10 photos on their website, but I'm not sure if this is a reflection of cost or availability of quality shots. The ones they're posting are ok, but not great by any means. I'm not sure if they're buying specific shots, paying a flat fee for everything and then using what they want, or if they're paying for x # of shots and the photographer submits the ones he wants them to have. Also, there are 2-3 publications that would also be in the market for photos. Would marketing photos to them also normally be allowed in this type of work? Are there any other issues I haven't thought of? I'm sorry for the bombardment of questions and I appreciate any information.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Byron - </p>

<p>Here's some things to factor into your "bid" - 1) you are not a pro. 2) you have equipment and other expenses to cover. 3) pricing to a certain extent will depend upon your location. (ie New York City is going to be expensive than Backwater, MN.) </p>

<p>Some things to consider before undertaking this: <br>

1) Get insurance - liability and equipment (what happens when your lens shade falls off and hits a concert goer in the head - Don't laugh - actually saw it happen once) <br>

2) Some (MOST) acts will specify how their images may be used. Further resale of the images may be prohibited by the act. <br>

3) Most acts specify in their contracts that all photos are to be taken during the first x number of songs - usually 3 - 5 songs. Then it's out of the venue for photographers. <br>

4) Usage is a big part of the pricing... web usage and print usage will cost a venue differently. </p>

<p>Good luck<br>

Dave</p>

<p>David,<br>

Thanks for the response. I had not thought about insurance, definitely something I need to get. I have all of the equipment I need but I would need to figure wear and tear, other expenses would be almost non-existant as I live 3 miles from the venue. </p>

<p>My biggest concern is that I don't want to WAY undercut the actual professionals they sometimes work with. My industry is also one in which you have hobbyists competing for work with professionals and I understand the frustration when someone is willing to work for minimal profit simply because they want to do the work. However, I have no idea at what price I would be undercutting. I will say I doubt I would spend the time for less than $100 per show, but I don't want to bid that low if the going rate is much higher than that. And it may be that even at $100 I would be overpriced? </p>

<p>Also, there is no print involved at all. As far as I understand they simply want photos for the website and their Facebook page. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>My biggest concern is that I don't want to WAY undercut the actual professionals they sometimes work with.</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

It's your job to price it in a way that makes sense for you, not for other people. It doesn't matter what they would charge. You haven't given any info on your location, which Dave pointed out was necessary, so it's pretty much impossible to know what market rate is. Also, how much you need to shoot - will you be subject to the (two or) three song rule that most venues impose? How many nights a week, that may be part of their budget. <br>

<br>

The best thing is probably to try to get them to give you what they want to pay, and if it's not enough, give them a higher price. Even if it's enough, I'd price up, since they will probably give you the lowest they think they would pay. Negotiation is a real pain unless you know what their budget really is or what they have been paying in the past. </p>