Compur Shutter operation - am I doing something wrong?

david_gardner6

<p>I just picked up a 65mm Super Angulon in a Compur Rapid shutter. It's not quite as described (shutter speeds are way off), but at the same time I got a fairly good deal, and the glass looks great, so I debate whether it's worth it to take this up with the seller.<br>

The problem is this: I cannot get the T or B settings to function. If I'm right, this would be a dealbreaker, because I'm often shooting long exposures. Here's what happens: If I move the shutter dial to T or B, I can't cock the shutter. If I cock the shutter first, I cannot move the dial to T or B.<br>

Am I doing something incorrectly? None of my other Compur shutters, but this could still be a feature of this shutter than I'm not aware of.</p>

<p>John wins. The lever activates the shutter in T and B without any cocking necessary, so I can put a remote cable on it and life will be good.</p>

<p>Thank you as well for your response, Brian. In answer to your question, it would be a dealbreaker because it was advertised as perfect working order. the shutter speeds being off I can compensate for by ear, so I'm not too concerned about that in the short term (and the shutter will get a CLA sometime next year). But if any part of it was not working at all, then it wouldn't be usable to me in the meantime, before the CLA.</p>

• 4 years later...

<p>Old thread but very useful! Answered my question regarding a prewar Compur on a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Speed Graphic. What I haven't found out yet is what the little button on the top near the cocking lever does. It moves forward...................ah ha! It's the self timer! What a nice piece of engineering.</p>

<p>I was going to take it apart and give it a good cleaning, but it seems to work so well that I am going to leave it alone for now.</p>

<p>Now if I can just figure out how that rangefinder works............................</p>