Compur Shutter operation - am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Large Format' started by david_gardner|6, Dec 9, 2011.

1. I just picked up a 65mm Super Angulon in a Compur Rapid shutter. It's not quite as described (shutter speeds are way off), but at the same time I got a fairly good deal, and the glass looks great, so I debate whether it's worth it to take this up with the seller.
    The problem is this: I cannot get the T or B settings to function. If I'm right, this would be a dealbreaker, because I'm often shooting long exposures. Here's what happens: If I move the shutter dial to T or B, I can't cock the shutter. If I cock the shutter first, I cannot move the dial to T or B.
    Am I doing something incorrectly? None of my other Compur shutters, but this could still be a feature of this shutter than I'm not aware of.

2. It sounds like the shutter is durty and needs a proper serviceing (called by some a "CLA - clean, lubricate, and adjust). I don't know why that would be a "deal-breaker" considering how old the shutter is likely to be. Any shutter that old will likely need a servicing.

3. There's quite a few shutters that you don't cock to use T and B. See if they work without cocking it.

4. John wins. The lever activates the shutter in T and B without any cocking necessary, so I can put a remote cable on it and life will be good.
    Thank you as well for your response, Brian. In answer to your question, it would be a dealbreaker because it was advertised as perfect working order. the shutter speeds being off I can compensate for by ear, so I'm not too concerned about that in the short term (and the shutter will get a CLA sometime next year). But if any part of it was not working at all, then it wouldn't be usable to me in the meantime, before the CLA.

5. Old thread but very useful! Answered my question regarding a prewar Compur on a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 Speed Graphic. What I haven't found out yet is what the little button on the top near the cocking lever does. It moves forward...................ah ha! It's the self timer! What a nice piece of engineering.
    I was going to take it apart and give it a good cleaning, but it seems to work so well that I am going to leave it alone for now.
    Now if I can just figure out how that rangefinder works............................