Compatible Flashes for T90?

mwmcbroom

<p>Am I correct in assuming that the only Canon-made flash that offers TTL metering for the T90 is the 300 TL?</p>

<p>I just bought a very clean T90 and so now I'm shopping for a clean 300TL. But I have a 420EZ that I've owned for more than two decades, which offered TTL metering with the earlier EOS film cameras. Just for grins, I mounted it onto the T90, and was surprised to see that the camera's shutter speed set to 1/60 and lens aperture set to f/5.6 (it was on "A"), plus the flash symbol in the viewfinder was lit. Reading in the manual, it seems that the flash indicator just illuminates when the flash has finished recycling. I suspect that, even though the flash has set the T90's shutter speed and the lens's aperture, it's still a manual exposure sort of deal, though. I know, for instance, when I go to use this same flash on my EOS DSLR, none of its auto abilities translate over, and I'm shooting in straight-up manual mode. But that's not so bad, though, because I can chimp the photos and tweak the flash's settings until exposure is correct. That's not so easy to do with a film camera, though, unless I've got a Polaroid back for it. Which I have no intention of getting, even if one were made for the T90.</p>

<p>Anyway, I'm just curious more than anything else. I've always found it a bit odd and not a little disappointing that Canon hasn't done a better job of maintaining backward compatibility between their cameras and accessories -- especially their flash gear. I mean, how hard would it be? As another example, I also own an EOS Elan IIe and the 420EZ is only partially functional with it too.</p>

<p>Another route apparently will be to go with a Metz unit and their 311 module. I can get one of those along with an adapter cord, so I can use them with my 45CT4, which is another good way to go, I suppose. Problem is, those two items typically cost more than what I can pick up a decent 300TL for, so I don't really know if it would even be worthwhile to do so.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm sure someone else will tell you if the 430EZ gives TTL control on the T90. I would put it on manual, and fire it at various lens apertures, and with different backgrounds, near/far, light/dark. If the flash output changes visibly, it should be working TTL.</p>

<p>Yeah, I'll probably do that. But the camera arrived today, so I haven't even had a chance to shoot with it yet.</p>

<p>Oh, and just for the record, it's a 420EZ, not a 430 EZ. Probably not much difference in terms of compatibility, if any, however.</p>

<p>Yes, Michael, I have gotten TTL exposure with the T90 and EOS 420ex flash (and I suppose the ez works as well) with the T90. Works also with the EOS Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2 which is nice for macro work or if you want to put your flash on a bracket.</p>

<p>BTW, I have an extra, clean, 300TL, in the box, for a reasonable amount. Contact me if interested</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the responses and the links, guys. They were a big help. It's good to know that my 420EZ will provide TTL flash metering with the T90, but I'll probably want to get a 300TL anyway, just so I can have the features that the 420EZ doesn't support, like 2nd curtain flash sync and 1//250 second shutter speed. The latter will be great to have for daylight fill flash.</p>

<p>It's tempting to think about collecting the various TTL adapters and cords Canon made for use with the T90/300TL, but I'll probably never use them. Better to just get out there with the camera and put large quantities of film through it.</p>

<p>Michael - I guess my response got lost in the ether. I have a 300TL for my T90, but rely mostly on my old Metz hammerhead, as it works with all my cameras and hasn't failed me yet, in any situation. FWIW, there is also a ring flash for the T90, mostly useful for macro work.</p>

<p>Yeah, the ML-2, I'm aware of it. Apparently, the ML-2 was made for use with the T90 only.</p>

<p>I also have a couple of Metz hammerheads -- a 60CT1 that takes the big dryfit battery pack, and a 45CT4. I bought the latter so I could do TTL flash photography with my Bronica ETRSi, with the appropriate SCA adapter. Which I still haven't bought yet. And I've noticed since buying the T90, that the SCA adapter route is also one I can go with for TTL flash with it. That is looking like a more expensive option that just buying a clean 300TL, though.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I know it's been a couple of months, sorry to dredge up old news.<br>

<br />What mode is the camera in? In Program, the flash will set to 1/60th shutter, and the aperture display is probably not from the flash, but as metered. Move the camera around to light and dark while holding a half-press and you'll probably see the aperture change. <br>

<br />In aperture-priority it will use the set aperture and the metered shutter, even with the flash firing.<br>

In shutter-priority it will use the set speed up to 1/250th, and (I think) metered aperture.</p>

<p>If your aperture doesn't change but is locked by the flash, I would guess that your flash is in thyristor mode rather than TTL. The flash uses its own electric eye for exposure.</p>